Catchup on Wolf/Bear to New to Scouting Webelos

I was wondering how you handle a boy coming in as a brand new scout into the Webelos rank. I think that everything taught in the lower ranks (Tiger, Wolf, Bear) is wonderful, but we have to spend time teaching them what is in the Webelos book.

Do you catchup or just leave those things behind? An example would be learning about types of canoes. This is not in the Webelos book but it was in the, I think Bear book.

A new Webelos scout will work on Bobcat requirements. He will then work on Webelos requirements. There is no provision for going back to learn material from previous ranks. He should have quite enough to work on in Webelos.

YiS,

Curt

geilerc has it exactly right. When I boy moves into the program no matter what rank, the first thing they need to do is earn their Bobcat rank. At Webelos level this should only take a couple of weeks if the boy is reasonably with it. In the past we have had one of the ADL work with any new boys on their Bobcat after and/or before meetings so they don't miss out on Webelos stuff. The boys often move faster if when new if you are helping them and sted of telling his parents, here do this.

The second thing to do is for him to start working on Webelos requirements. If he is starting as a first year Webelos now, then he will have some pushing to do to get to AOL before he moves up to Boy Scouts but it can be done without a terrible strain on those involved. I would simply outline what the requirements on with both the boy and his parents and make sure they have your email or phone number for questions and he should be able to get to the Webelos rank by the time scouts starts up in again in the fall.

The only ranks are just missed. There have been cases where people have gone back and done the stuff they missed, however that is not what you are supposed to do. The books outline that each rank should only be worked on while in that grade level or den, not before or after they move up.

Cub Scouts is an age appropriate program. The program for each Cub level is specifically designed for boys of that age/grade. A boy can not earn awards designed for younger, or older, boys.

All Scouts, no matter when they join Cub Scout, earn Bobcat first. It is an introduction to Cub Scouting.

After that they earn the recognitions for their age/grade level.

A boy joining Cub Scouts as a Webelos, in 4th or 5th grade, would earn the Webelos Badge and Arrow of Light.

This is explained in the Cub Scout Leader Book. Every registered Cub Leader should have a copy. Have you taken any training yet? Most Councils are holding Spring Leader Trainings now. Check with your council. There are also trainings online at the BSA National web site -

http://olc.scouting.org/

• 3 weeks later...

Heres a situation that I believe Ive seen the answer to before, just cant remember the guidance. Can a Scout redo a rank year, if they redo their school year. Example, redo Tiger, if they repeat Kindergarden. Or do they advance with their peers, even though they will be different grades in school?

I have a new Tiger who wishes to join as of June 1 completed Kindergarten. However, his new school (public school) has some issues (not sure what, he turns 6 in Sept) with him beginning first grade, and wont make a decision until fall.

That is up to the Pack and the parent. A Tiger can be either in 1st grade or seven years old. In the Cub Scouting program either age or grade can be used, it just sometimes gets confusing when you use both. In the case of this boy, if he is just turning six, unless he is in first grade, he will have to wait a year. for most boys, their school grade will typically place them ahead of the age requirements. This usually results in about 18 months as a Webelos rather than the aproxamately one year in an age based program. LDS runs an age based program, however most other Packs run a grade based one.