Pinewood derby episode of South Park

I have been to Highlands Ranch, did a project with Centura years ago. Its a pretty sanitized version of Denver. Even the garage sale signs have to be pre-approved.

I went through South Park and also Littleton. It was close to the time the shooting happened as there was still police tape up and the school was closed. Wow I guess then it was 10 years ago.

South park is a microcosm of what people really think and talk about and brings together a variety of folks who push the envelope (did anyone see the Somali pirate episode, or the Jonas brothers one - the writers definately still have it!) It takes events and pushes them, much like Saturday Night Live.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"On the uniforms, I have a feeling that Subaru didn't want to pay any licensing fees (especially to BSA), so they tried to make the boy's uniforms deliberately not look like they were from any particular organization."

Well that didn't work so well...they definitely "looked like" Brownie vests.

ScoutMomSD - "I have been to Highlands Ranch, did a project with Centura years ago. Its a pretty sanitized version of Denver. Even the garage sale signs have to be pre-approved."

Not sure where you got your info. No one I know needs to get a garage sale sign pre-approved. Highlands Ranch is like many areas, it appeals to some but not to others. Same can be said for SD ;-) I lived there for 16 years and would rather live here. HR has great schools, is close to everything, low low crime, four great rec centers to take advantage of, and property values are holding up pretty well (can't say the same for the house we sold in SD which has lost over $100K in value). But, to each his own.

As for South Park (the show), I am rather surprised that people can go for that type of comedy. The dad committing suicide for not winning the PWD really put me off. I didn't watch much past that.

scoutldr - "Well that didn't work so well...they definitely "looked like" Brownie vests."

I think just the fact of them being brown in color would give people that impression.

What I didn't like about that commercial was the "hands-off" dad. PWD is supposed to be a joint project of a child working with an adult. With the adult being the mentor and helping out where the kid is not able. That goes back to Don Murphy, the founder of PWD. Of course, there are many adults that go too far, but the "hands-off" adult is the other extreme that is definitely present in these races.

• 1 month later...

in response to NJ blog:

1) Yes Thin Mints are that good - Boy Scouts will never have the cache that girl scouts do with their cookies. Popcorn just isnt as good.

2) Disney I am sure purposely didnt ask Disney. Disney has had partner benefits for a long time (like most healthcare organizations) and is very much in the front line of support for Gay and Lesbian rights because a large percent of their workforce is gay compared to many companies.

3) I love Scouts but lets be honest - the Boy Scouts have a reputation for being overly religious and extremely discriminatory. I have had a number of friends who gave me the evil eye when they found out my son was in scouts. But they also give me that look for shopping at walmart (see the new show on ABC "the goode family")

Look, I am in scouts for my son to have fun and learn something. All the stuff about religion, building "men", being tough, etc, well whatever floats your boat. Thats not my goal.

And to guy in Highland Ranch - its a cool area. I wasnt putting it down. Very much like Irvine in California. I'm a CA Native so probably wont move but its a super nice area.