Webelos Woods and Bears

Traditionally our district has held Webelos Woods in the fall and it included all Webelos (1 & 2) in the district. This year due to conflicts and to try something new we have moved it to the spring and all Webelos 1s and Bears (that have earned their rank) will be coming.

My question is has anyone ever been involved in this approach? If so how did it work out?

(This message has been edited by imasoonerfan)

Our Council is doing a Webelos Weekend this spring. The original post said that it is for Webelos 1 and 2. But there are very few 2nd year Webelos in the spring, since they have Crossed over of given up scouts. Then they mentioned that Bears are invited, since they will be Webelos in just a few weeks. I think it is a GREAT idea. I am hoping or a good turnout. I haven't experienced a Webelos Weekend before.

Our council holds it in the spring, too, and it has worked out well (I've gone with both of my sons, last year and the year before). The only problem has been that the council has been unclear on Webelos 1 and 2, or Bear and Webelos 1. Since your council is being much more clear about it, I don't think you'll be as confused as I was.

(one of my sons went as a Webelos 1, and ready to start on his second Webelos season; my younger son went just after he finished earning the Bear badge, but due to his age, he was compressing the Webelos badge and Arrow of Light into one season -- he recently crossed over to a Scout troop)

My only recommendation is that now your son is starting on Webelos, be inclined to give him more space. Webelos is the start of a transition from a parent-child program (Cubs) to a boy-led program (Boy Scouts).

Guy

Locally Webelos 1's aren't typically invited to Webelos Woods (and aren't usually considered by the Troops to be Webelos) maybe because they aren't trying to recruit next years batch of Scout prospects just this years.

We have a Spring event this year that is causing some consternation due to the issues raised above.

When Council invited Webelos to attend, because of the note above, it was discovered that they really weren't inviting anyone from Cub Scouts. Not even the Pack's thought the Webelos 1's were being invited.

A few discussions with the DE later, Webelos 1's are now recognized as actually being Webelos, as they should be.

Our Webelos Woods experience this year will include both Web1's and 2's.

I cannot tell a lie. I am actually the person that suggested that the Bears be invited to Webelos Woods this Spring. My thinking was that if they can see the Webelos in action with the Troops it would get them excited and keep them in the program.

I guess we will see if it works.

Personally I like Spring Webelos Woods better because it gives the Webelos I leaders a chance to see the troops they want to visit next fall. I found that most Webelos IIs dens have already set up their agenda by the time the get to a Fall Webelos Woods. Also, we try to do a little bit of training for the Webelos leaders, which include the Bear leaders, so I think at least the Bear leaders should come. One other thing I think is important is I found when I was on district that Webelos leaders struggle to visit troops because they either don't know who to visit or feel to intimidated. So invite all the Webelos Leaders and troop leaders together to a meet and greet. I called it a tea, but have coffee, cookies, cokes or what ever, but get them mingling together to break the ice and learn names and pass out numbers.

Barry

We actually have scheduled a time (6:30-8pm) on Saturday night for all of the Packs to go to each of the Troop's campsites and visit. We just called it a Webelos Walkaround. All of the Troops will be camping in one area and they have the opportunity to 'showcase' their 'talents' to the Cubs.

We also have an event in October called what else????? Octoberfest! All of the Troops in our district setup at a local Sportsman's club and the Webelos come and check them out. Sort of like a huge District open house.

We've been having similar discussions about Webs1 and Webs2.

As for Bears at the Webelos Woods event I would say it would depend on if it involves overnight camping and if it is a Council or District sponsored event. I would certainly entertain them being there during the day, but not sure I'd let them camp.

Interesting topic since I just took on the District Activities Chair responsibilities and this one falls in my lap! Your ideas help me think through it all.

The event is this weekend so I will let you know how it goes.

I think there is some confusion over who I referred to as going.

There will be Bears as in still in the 3rd grade until next month and Webelos 1's still in the 4th grade. All are camping BUT all MUST have a parent with them the entire weekend.

I got the idea from other councils doing this same thing.

Additionally, our Troop has until this year put on a Pin Fair allowing Webelos and Bears to come in late may and earn two activity pins. Our boys taught it and it gave the Cubs and parents the experience of boy run.