Coil bound Webelos handbook availability?

Seems these are on back order. We have 2 scout shops in our council, one says they'll be in mid-May, late summer at the earliest according to the other. Does anyone know which is correct?

Guess I'll be getting the standard version and taking it somewhere to be spiraled.

i've been told it's cheaper to buy the book and take it to Staples or Office depot and have it spiralbound there.

Just don't buy a new BS handbook yet as the new ones will come out in JUNE.

Thinking about it, did they say it's a new edition that is coming out? They may be replacing all the books at one time.

We have them in our national store.

Personally I do not like them. For the Cubs they are ok due to the time frame they are being used but for Boy Scouts they do not hold up. The pages tend to tear out very easily. The cover on my son's book came off within six months of buying it.

My advice is to go with the glue bound book. Just my two cents worth.

In the end, I had the spine removed and holes punched for a 3-ring binder. Since I bought a new binder, it wasn't cheaper than buying a coil-bound book, but the spine removal/hole punching was cheap (I think $1.50, haven't looked closely at the receipt). Even cheaper would be to have them remove the spine and punch the holes yourself. I'm not sure the place I went could have coil-bound a book that thick anyway and am happy with this solution.

• 1 year later...

See my post immediately above. I had Staples do the spine removal for very little money. I'm not certain how you'd do it neatly on your own. The book just barely fits in the binder I got - I'd have to measure as I can't remember the size - and you have to turn the pages very carefully. If the coil-bound is available, it's worth the extra $ in my opinion.

None of the books seem to hold up well. Problem with the spiral bound books is that the boys leave them folded open so the regular pages take the abuse, not the covers. Of course they usually leave them folded open to the sign-off pages so they're the first to fall-out -- not good when those sign-offs are supposed to be the permanent record of your advancement.

The binder sounds like a good idea, but another thing that works are the nylon/velcro covers BSA sells. Yes, it's another $14 to BSA but they help. Our pack gave them as crossing gifts to the Webelos one year. That group is the only one with intact books.

Maybe you suggest to parent they put them on their son's Christmas list.