What would you do?

I can't help wondering if the Lad who was the guilty party had received a very sever punishment from the school, something that the parents of the injured party were happy with; would they still want the Pack to be involved?

Eamonn

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GOod point. I tell ya, if it were my kid getting staples in his head because he'd been picked up and thrown to the floor of the school bus by another kid and the school responded as lightly as was indicated here, I'd be camping out in the superintendent's office and making sure there was no question about my views on the matter! Suspension is warranted to behavior like this.

Agree with Lisa and Eamonn. If my child had been the victim, there'd be some long talks with the school district.

Hotdesk, Lisa's right... This is Cubbing. The Promise and the Law of the Pack are mere shadows of the Boy Scout Oath and Law. There are no requirements to demonstrate spirit in daily life.

And I agree with Ed on the fudge

Hotdesk is on track.

"In helping boys develop character, Cub Scouting promotes the following 12 core values." Know, Commit, and Practice. Added related Cub Scout requirements.

http://www.scouting.org/Media/FactSheets/02-502.aspx

http://www.scoutingmagazine.org/issues/0303/a-cubs.html

1. Citizenship: Contributing service and showing responsibility to local, state, and national communities. (Related requirements: Tiger Cub: 2 - Where I Live, Bear: 3j - What Makes America Special, Webelos: Citizen Activity Badge)

2. Compassion: Being kind and considerate, and showing concern for the well-being of others. (Related requirement: Bear: 24f - Be a Leader)

3. Cooperation: Being helpful and working together with others toward a common goal. (Related requirement: Wolf: 10a - Family Fun)

4. Courage: Being brave and doing what is right regardless of our fears, the difficulties, or the consequences. (Related requirements: Wolf: 12a - Making Choices, Bear: 11g - Be Ready, Webelos: Readyman Activity Badge)

5. Faith: Having inner strength and confidence based on our trust in God. (Related requirements: Tiger Cub: 5 - Let's Go Outdoors, Wolf: 11a - Duty to God, Bear: 1a - Ways We Worship, Webelos: 8 - Faith)

6. Health and Fitness: Being personally committed to keeping our minds and bodies clean and fit. (Related requirements: Tiger Cub: 3 - Keeping Myself Healthy and Safe, Webelos: Health and Fitness Activity Badge)

7. Honesty: Telling the truth and being worthy of trust. (Related requirements: Bear: 18h - Jot it Down, Arrow of Light: 7)

8. Perseverance: Sticking with something and not giving up, even if it is difficult. (Related requirement: Webelos: Athlete Activity Badge)

9. Positive Attitude: Being cheerful and setting our minds to look for and find the best in all situations. (Related requirements: Wolf: 6a, Start a Collection, Webelos: Scholar Activity Badge)

10. Resourcefulness: Using human and other resources to their fullest. . (Related requirement: Bear: 21g - Build a Model)

11. Respect: Showing regard for the worth of something or someone. (Related requirements: Tiger Cub: 4 - How I Tell It, Wolf: 7a - Your Living World, Bear: 8g - The Past is Exciting and Important, Webelos: Naturalist Activity Badge)

12. Responsibility: Fulfilling our duty to God, country, other people, and ourselves. (Related requirements: Tiger Cub: 1 - Making My Family Special, Wolf: 9a Be Safe at Home and on the Street, Webelos: Handyman Activity Badge)

Character building encompasses more than time spent at scouting activities. Occasionally, I get complaints from parents and the community regarding my scouts' actions outside of scouting - 'What are you teaching scouts...'. A few are funny, some are silly, and some are more serious. I address them all as best that I can. I review the incident; make it clear that we are always accountable for our actions (we make amends and maybe we lose privileges); we act like scouts all the time. Makes for gripping Character Connections discussions :)

How many of the above Cub Scout character values are at issue here? The CM and DL have some work ahead.

Another $0.02

RememberSchiff,

I do very much see where you are coming from and do respect your view.

As I posted I'm all for Scouts being Scouts 24/7.

As you might know I work for the PA Department of Corrections.

I spend my work hours surrounded by convicted criminals.

People who have been convicted of murder, child molestation, drug dealers.

The punishment they have received for the wrong that they have done is to be taken away from their homes, families, loved ones and be placed in a correctional facility.

Some may also have to pay fines and undertake different programs while they are incarcerated.

Some people think that the length of time that they spend in jail isn't long enough, some think that our jails are too soft and too easy.

That is a matter of opinion.

While a lot of inmates can't wait to be paroled, I have spoken to a good many who don't want to be paroled and want to serve out their full sentence.

They want to get this part of their lives over with and move on.

All say that they are never coming back to jail.

The Lad who was in the wrong here has paid for what he did.

I'm sure that he wants this to be over with and move on.

I'm moved to think of the parable of the lost sheep.

While I don't know this Lad. I wonder if he is a Lad that needs Scouting more than maybe we might like to think Scouting needs him?

Little Angels are in no need of character development, they have earned their wings.

It very well could be that this Lad is a little toad?

It could be that he might grow up to be a big toad and end up spending time with me , where I work?

I don't know.

I do know whatever good we might be able to do is not going to get done by having him not attend meetings or by asking him to leave.

Maybe in time he will also earn his wings?

Eamonn.

RememberSchiff...

Look at the list you posted. Notice something. Unlike Boy Scouting, where our expectation is the 12 points 24/7...

In Cubbing each point of development is worked on at a discrete moment in time. Cubs have yet to put it all together.

As I've said earlier, I do believe there is room for the CM to encourage the body. I also believe this incident was in the context of the school, not the Scouting experience. It's not our job to re-assess and re-award consequences

Eamon,

I don't know if he "paid for" what he did, that's not our dept. We volunteer to teach scout values. Sounds like the CM has started that. I agree with you that Scout 1 probably wishes the adults would forget about this :) Also remember, there are two scouts involved here. I would be interested in hearing how Scout 2 is doing.

John,

We are not going agree on this. Neither I nor my scouts get a green light to ignore scouting values "outside of scouting". Will they break the rules? Daily. Parents and others handle these incidents, but occasionally scout leaders are asked to help as was done here. So we help, that's what scouts do.

Peaceful Easter