need help planing a cmapout

crafts...

mud painting - take big buckets full of dirt and wart and mix well... boys use sticks etc to paint the mud onto muslin type fabric

nature pals - boys scour around the grounds for sticks, nut shells, rocks, etc and glue into making a little "stick" person

games...

nature scavanger hunt

any form of tag

conservation project...

I don't know AZ well... so...

making bird houses or feeders

cleaning up a trail

call the park you're going to and see if there is something they need done.

Starlaisme,

Please excuse my bad manners in hi-jacking your topic. While checking reponses tonight, I realized that I eclipsed your request for basic campout tips with my own need for swamp adventure tips. Not very useful in AZ, huh? I should have started another thread.

My Wolves really liked Baden Powell's Deer Stalker game:

"1. DEER-STALKING.

The Scoutmaster acts as a deer, not hiding but standing, and moving occasionally now and then.

The Scouts go out to find the deer, and each tries in his own way to get up to it unseen.

Directly the Scoutmaster sees a Scout he directs him to stand up as having failed. After a certain time the Scoutmaster calls "Time," and all stand up at the spot which they have reached, and the nearest wins. "

http://www.inquiry.net/OUTDOOR/games/b-p/stalking.htm

Maybe they just like my whitetail imitation..

JoeBob

Wow thanks for all of the good ideas.

The kids will have free time and at the campfire at night each den will do a skit, and we will serve "want to be smores" that is smores with out having the kids roast the marshmellows, we use marshmellow frosting, the kids love it.

One of the older brothers plays the gitar and he will play and sing some songs also.

I can not go on the campout since I had an operation on my foot and can not walk. The assistant wolf den leader will be going in my place.

Instead of wannabe's, try making smores with roasted Peeps. If the peeps are opened and allowed to "age" for a few weeks, they roast perfectly. The sugar caramelizes to a hard crust and makes the perfect Peepsmore.

Use care though. The sugar is quite hot when it first comes off the fire and must cool for a minute or so. 2nd degree caramelized sugar burns on the lips is not fun. Don't ask.

what part of Arizona? I know Flagstaff, Phoenix and Tucson all have different climates and types of available vegetation.

I agree - ask where you are going if you can plant trees - depending on where you are not sure if will be saguaro, palo verde or pine!!

Trash pick up is a good project also. Even at boy scout camps there is always trash there when you arrive (with girl scouts we always were told leave it cleaner than when you arrived - havent seen this as much with Cubbies).

I am unclear, is this ALL ages or is your den just doing the planning? we have found and are getting better at having stuff for each age. Tigers needs and ideas of fun are MUCH different than the Webelos. I know the younger kids could spend all day picking up sticks and playing Star Wars the Clone Wars.

Another fun snack is make your own Trail Mix. Get the big boxes of Raisins, Nuts (keeping in mind allergies), M&M's, etc and get a big thing of plastic gloves (from a place like Smart and Final) - Sprouts (which I think is based in AZ?) has great stuff for this. Give boys a baggie, and plastic gloves and monitor so M&M's dont go first.

Good luck

We are in Maricopa AZ. The funny thing is I have no idea where we are going camping. The Cub Master said that there are some trees and a big open flat area in the camp ground.

The camp out is for all dens and their familys. The kids will have free time where they can play and on Sunday there will be a hike and before the hike the kids will make trail mix.

I love the idea of cleaning up the camp ground on Sunday.

We no longer do trail mix at Pack campouts.

The problem comes when the kids bring the bags of trail mix into their tents. Or start dropping the trail mix all over the area. Or you get 1 or 2 who decide they don't like parts, and empty their bags on the ground. Not a problem, it is biodegradable food stuffs right? Well, when your campsite is invaded by critters at night, all happily chowing down on the snacks you left for them, it becomes a BIG problem.

Go to Scout store and get a neckerchief slide kit in the packages of 8 that you can stamp. then get the leather stamps. EAch boy can stamp his neckerchief and then put on the laces. The kids love to make neckerchiefs.

Other idea in this are to each get a nice stone and then attach to a pvc pipe or use wire to wrap around to make a slide.

If you are near water or have it nearby do a fishing derby or fishing belt loop.

We always do a cleanup before they can do s'mores and then cleanup next morning. We make it a group competition. The group with most trach gets to... Make s'mores first, fish first, etc.

Print out song packets in large type so they cna see it unless you are doing all reapeat after songs.

Chekc out the park they are going to and see if there are activities already offered when you are going, hikes, cleanups, nature studies.

Some have orienteering courses set up that you can get the mpa and do the maps and compass beltloop.

If you're in Maricopa county, then I'm thinking you'll be camping either at Thunderbird, Lake Pleasent, or the White Tanks. All good....

As such, I would include a short nature hike to discover desert flora and fauna.

Maybe some star gazing, and a basic introduction to a few constellations, and how they can be used to find direction.

How to conserve, and not waste water

How to dress properly for desert travel/camping, the correct foot wear, the importance of wearing the correct head gear.

(This message has been edited by Le Voyageur)