Carving bows & arrows

Thanks for all of your ideas & thoughts!

I did make a bow & arrow about a week ago. All I did was carve the bark off of a small tree branch & tie string to each end of the bow. For the arrow, I carved the bark off of a small stick, made the end a little pointy & put a little notch at the other end of the arrow. The arrow either went anywhere from about 1 foot or between 15-20 feet! I did have a lot of fun making them & so did my 12 year old daughter! Our pupply had fun getting the "arrows" before we did! She ran around the backyard with the "arrow" in her mouth as my daughter chased her.

I don't think I'll have my boys do this at our den campout. I'm going to have them carve hiking sticks instead.

YIS

Judy

Back when I was leading cubs, we made bull roarers and carved them differently to see what designs worked best and made different sounds.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bullroarer

goto this web site and take the (music) link to see the discussion.

The boys had a lot of fun with them and got a fair amount of exercise swinging them to see whose was the loudest. Didn't see much wildlife on outings though. ;)

Hey Pack!

That sound's cool! Did your boys make them from any particular type of tree branch found on the ground? Any suggestions for carving tips, etc.! The only wildlife here on Long Island is in the supermarkets! LOL!!! :D

Hi Judy, It's become a ritual that when we're driving on the Belt Parkway and we approach that sign to watch for wildlife, I just say, "There's wildlife here? Probably rats." And my wife responds the usual way with a slap to the back of my head. ;)

It's important to get the dimensions right and this is more fun if done trial by error. The type of wood isn't that important. Some maple or yew would do fine, I think. One thing that helps is to put a swivel on the string. One of those fishing swivels with ball bearings works best. But they work with just a string as well. Here's another simple design:

http://www.toysfromtimespast.com/toys/bull.htm

Hi Pack!

LOL@ rats! The wildlife that I was talking about were actually some of the customers in the supermarket; nothing like 2 ladies fighting over the amount of items the other one had while waiting on line at the Express Checkout! On Long Island we do have real animals beside people! Deer, fox, raccoons, squirrels, oppossum; rats are only in the city! ;)

I like that design/shape as it seems simple to make & the photo was bigger so I could see it better, my eyes are getting older! I have another question. Can the flat board part be made out of a tree branch found on the ground? Would I have to split it in half with an ax? The round handle the boys can just carve the bark off of a small tree branch found on the ground. I don't fish that much, can you tell me what a fishing swivel is or a picture? Maybe I've seen it but didn't know what it was called. Another question & possibly be my last, about how much rope should the boys attach? I don't want them knocking down birds with it! Thanks!

YIS

Judy

Hello again, yeah I've seen that checkout show everywhere except in Davis, CA. That place is really weird. People there are so polite and thoughtful that traffic will stop if they 'think' you're about to suddenly jaywalk across a street. Really!

Anyway, a round limb needs to be split or sawn in order for the two sides to be nearly flat. The shape needs to be kind of long and slender but some trials with different designs will guide you to the optimum. The whittling should take place after you've produced the flats.

I'd do it without swivels until they get the 'hang' of it. Remember though, the length of the string is a RADIUS. The swinging circle will have a diameter twice the length. There is a a best length that depends on the size of the wood piece and the size and length of the boy's arm. I'd start at about 4 feet and add or subtract length from there. Make sure they're clear of people and obstacles. And china shops, LOL.

Thanks again Pack! Now I have a better idea of what to do! I will make one first & keep your fingers crossed that I don't hit myself in the head with it! I will let you know how it turns out. This will take a little longer than the bow & arrow!

I'm sure the people in Davis, CA wouldn't last on Long Island! We are polite but at times impatient while driving! ;)

YIS

Judy

lol @ being English! I'm a true American Mutt - Irish, German, Dutch, Blackfoot Indian & on my father's side Norwegian!

One more Bull Roar question! Is there any special type of finish or stain that should be put on either the flat board or the swinging stick (don't know what else to call it!)? If so, if the boys want to carve a design into the flat board, that should be done before staining or putting a finish on it, right? Thanks again!

YIS

JUdy