Cub Day Camp

I can't say that I have ever heard of Day Camp software.

Are you the Day Camp Director? All of the DC Directors, and DC Program Directors, I have worked with used simple excel spreadsheets, along with the registration materials for each boy. You might ask when you attend National Camp School.

If you are not Camp Director, or Program Director, you would really have no need for software of any kind.

When I ran camp we loaded everything into spreadsheets. Name, contact info, rank, pack, den assignment, t-shirt sizes, everything went into one row. That allowed us to to mutiple sorts and create a variety of different rosters we needed -- by rank, by pack, by den assignments, etc. The den assignment sort became the attendance sheet for that den which was completed manually by the DL and turned into HQ every morning.

I'm not sure why you would need much more than that digitized. It's a whole lot of data entry for fairly little use. Advancement, for example. We always gave the den leaders one score sheet for each boy with a check list of the advancements they were likely to complete (and a few blank lines for add-ons). The DLs checked off requirements as they were completed and turned the sheets into HQ on Friday. We sorted them by pack and mailed the stack to the boys' Cubmaster. I'm not sure I see the benefit of having all that on a computer.

Since I retired, the district now uses an online system for registration. I don't know how much data they capture on line, but I imagine it saves a lot of data input time. But basically being a Ludite when it comes to such things, I can't give you much in the way of specifics. If you will PM me with your email address, I'll try to hook you up with the people who do the registration web site.

Ditto twocubdad: My wife, the CSDCDirector, and I the FAEE, only used a excel spreadsheet. The Council would send us immense spreedsheet data dumps as registration progressed, and she would condense and eliminate many columns as unneeded. Tote up the columns for tshirt sizes and numbers and den sizes, etc.

As to advancement, we always provided each Den Walker with a pile of pages to distribute to each Cub to take home with their souvenir patch on the last day. This page liasted all the badges, belt loops and awards that (1) the Cub DEFINITELY earned by virtue of having attended 5 days of CSDC (archery BL, Flag courtesy requirement, for instance) and (2) MAY HAVE earned, depending on their participation (such as knot tieing practice, ultimate frisbee BL, archery sports pin has a seperate signed card from the Range Officer)and (3) CAN earn, depending on further work (Summer Activity Award, Leave No Trace award).

Check your Rank Books. We say that the Cub Leader should discuss with the Cub what he did and how it may apply to a particular requirement. We point out that the awarding of a rank, BL or pin is ultimately the responsibility of the Cub Pack.

We have even been asked by a Cub Masters," do you (the CSDC) buy the BL and we award it?" and "can we award the marbles BL because the Cub said he did it?". No, it was not on the list of activities, was it?

Have fun with the Cubs. The records will come together.

• 1 month later...

I am supposed to be Program Director for day camp this year and have no clue what I have to do or don't. can someone help me out with this? All I have is a theme, and i was just told I need to recruit leaders and other personnel for the Camp. Help!!!!!!

Talk to your DE and the Day Camp Camp Director about what is involved, and also about attending National Camp School.

There is a specific number, sequence, and type of activities that you must include (for example active and passive activities).

Can you talk to the Program Director from last year?

*sigh*

Search these many forums about CSDC... Use many variations. Lots of good ideas out here.

In the mean time, it might be a little late to sign up to go to Camp School (check with your DE or DD. You should be able to go on the Council dime...), but you need to get an immediate good working relationship with your Camp Director. The activities that the Cubs run around in and to depend on the two of you working together to get five days of 9 to 4 (or 3:30 or however your schedule is set) fun and memories. Archery, Nature, Scoutcraft, Fishing, BB gun, Virtual Campfire skits and songs and cheers, Crafts, Specials (fire trucks, guest wowsers, helicopters, trick ropers, be creative), whatever is available. Work the District Commissioner Corps and phones and Roundtables for Scouter staff and Scout Jr. staff. Staff skits at day opening help set the spirit of the day. Get a bull horn to save your voice.

Always remember, when asking for help, the words "Cub Scouts" can open many doors. Neighboring military camp? Community college? Hardware store? Police Medivac chopper? Construction Contractor?

KISMIF.

Unfortunately, to serve as Day Camp Program Director you must be certified by National Camping School. All day camps must have two leaders, the camp director and the program director, who are NCS certified. Depending on the part of the country you're in, most of the camp schools have finished for the year.

You need to have a heart-to-heart with your district executive. Unless there's just been a misunderstanding about your role, I would be very cautions. You've been put in a very difficult situation.

I teach the day camp section at NCS. If you would like to PM me with specifics I'll be glad to help.