Neckerchief Slides

I'll be a new Tiger DL in June. One of my thoughts is to have the boys make a themed (from the monthly CS themes) neckerchief slide each month to wear at the pack meeting. I've seen a couple of discussion threads where this was mentioned. Does this work well? Take too much time? Too ambitious? What about making it optional for the kids with project completed at home so as to not take too much time during the den meetings?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Terry

Keep in mind the costs involved. You don't want to be charging your Tiger Teams a huge amount of den dues to pay for all of this stuff.

Not every National theme is going to lend itself to an easy slide. Go thru the Program Helps and see which ones will work and only do those.

Why stay with only the National theme? You can incorporate Tiger requirements into making easy slides too.

Do your leaf rubbings for Tiger requirement #5D. Cut out the leaf shapes and glue them to a heavier background (cardboard, piece of foam, etc). Attach a piece of pipe cleaner to the back, and you have a nice slide.

Scoutnut! Consider the results of your suggestion! Take a 1/2 inch PVC pipe (free scrap from your plumber friend), cut off a 1 inch length for the slide, sand smooth. Hot glue a leaf shape to it... I would love to see a life size Sycamore leaf on a Tiger NCh slide! Our Sycamore has 12 inch wide leaves! A Mature Black Oak would be similar sized! Wonderful...I think it would be GREAT!

Use soft craft foam sheets, various colors.

Yep, we have some Sycamores by us too!

I usually have the boys look for smaller leaves. With Elm, Maple, Oak, Ginkgo, & even "baby" Sycamores, in the block surrounding our meeting place, they can usually find something smaller than their head!

Not to be a wet blanket but think of the abilities of a Tiger aged boy. Hot glue guns, X-Acto knives, etc. and small boys without dexterity usually do not mix.

I know the adult partner is supposed to work with the boiy but I also know this is not always the case (for some BSA = Baby Sitters of America).

Good luck but stay safe.

YiS,

Rick

Necker slides for each month's theme is probably ambitious, IMO. You are right about it taking a lot of your meeting time to accomplish each month. And as you continue to gather more and more ideas for meetings, you'll see SO many other fun things you're going to want to do :-)

I would be more prone to making slides only for those ultra-special times, like their first PWD or the den's go-see-it to the fire station. About once a year, our pack made slides as part of a family campout.

clyde

As an 18 year old camp staffer, I was drafted to be Counselor for Woodcarving Merit Badge. Something I was not really a good choice for. I still bear the scar in my thigh as the result of an errant X-Acto knife! I still have a severe case of X-Actophobia...

But now I own a bunch of very sharp knives- none of them X-Actos!

Old style non-spring clothes pin. Adult carefully drills 1/16th inch hole crosswise thru solid (not "leg" part) of pin. Paint pin to look like Cub Scout (blue pants, white tennies, blue shirt, dots for awards, round head painted 'flesh' tone, little eyes&nose, etc.) . Carefully push blue pipe cleaner thru hole for arms. Cut 1/2 inch pvc pipe 1 inch long, sand smooth. Hotglue pincub to tube. OR, if you can push TWO pipe cleaners thru the hole (slightly larger hole?), one for arms, one for twisting together for neckerchief holder.

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Tiger Den leader, for the When I grow up theme I just cut up empty tp tubes 1/2 in wide the boys drew something to represent their future career on foam stock, cut them out and used school glue. They fit over the brass slide and the kids had a blast making them. I know that some of the other months the planning guide had suggest other slides but the cost of the materials were too much for den due to support. We have a1so made them with pipe cleaners and what ever cheaper craft supplies we had already purchased.

I have been doing monthly neckerchief slides with my Tigers. We've used PVC pipe as the ring portion, and have used a variety of materials like foam, wooden craft shapes, hot wheel cars and polymer clay to make the decorative portion. I can often use supplies leftover in our supply closet. Making slides takes us maybe 15-20 minutes. Sometimes a slide is started in one meeting and finished in the next. We have used hot glue guns most of the time. A parent ALWAYS mans the hot glue gun and is stationed at a table away from the main activity, scouts are sent over one at a time to have their slide glued together.

We meet weekly, if we had a different schedule of meetings I might be loath to spend time on slides. The boys like to make them and wear them proudly to the pack meetings each month.

• 2 weeks later...

Last year when my Scouts were Tigers we did a new slide for each month. We met 3 weeks/month. My den dues is $7/ month. They had ALOT of fun making them and A LOT of fun wearing them. Even the Cubmaster started to look forward to seeing them each month, just to see what we had come up with. Usually for the rings we used the plastic ring part that is left behind when you open a bottle of water (you know just like on the milk jug, but smaller). We generally attached something to fun foam, and then hot glued the foam portion to the plastic ring. My husband never took a bottle of water anywhere without returning the ring to me, safe and sound!

We made full indian headresses, rudolph the red-nosed reindeer, small wooden 'pinewood derby cars', a slide made from recycling pop can tabs, and little white rabbits emerging from magic hats. My favorite was the indian headress, I think their favorite was the cars.

This can be done, and is very rewarding.

Making tie slides wasn't my "thing" as a Tiger leader, but we had a former Tiger leader who had his den make them every month (very successfully) with a system similar to that described by kari_cardi. Didn't cost much, and an adult handled the hot glue gun. Anything the kids couldn't cut with safety scissors was cut ahead of time by the DL.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the idea of a monthly slide. You could have it be your gathering activity or your craft segment. Just keep them simple.

PVC pipe works really well, in my experience. Of course, the adults use the glue gun. I still run that appliance with my Webelos.