Camping Question for Cubs

Our pack was planning a camping trip. One of our members was going to take the BALOO training and I am not sure if they did. I realize that someone has to have it for us to go camping. However, I someone mentioned that cubs can not camp a place where there is NO flushing toilets.....is this true?? I can hardly believe that something like this would be true. I mean I think our local Girls Scout camp only got flushable toilets with in the last few years or so...any input would help.

Thanks!!!

Your council may have their own rules, but on a BSA level, and where I am, this is just plain not true. In fact, I don't think we've ever been camping where there were flush toilets. We've been at district camporees with 300-600 cubs distributed in campsites across large reservations with not a flush toilet to be had for miles, and our own pack has camped alone in state parks, also without flush toilets.

As a matter of fact, the big council camporee is coming up with 3000-5000 cubs, and our big advertising pitch is that for the first time we'll have some flush toilets!

Melgamatic

As for the toilet issue, you must has latrine facilities. Pit privies, portajohns, stuff like that. You also need potable water.

That is the way that our rules are.

Make sure that you have someone who is baloo trained, or your tour permit will not get approved.

Good luck and have fun.

I don't know if it is BSA national policy, but our council has a listing of "approved" cub family camp sites. They must at a minimum have:

1) Latrines - either flush, port-a-john, or pit. They cannot be holes dug by the unit. They must be semi-fixed, permenant toilet facilities for the given campground.

2) Potable water within 500 ft of the campsite.

Finally - you MUST have at least ONE individual in the pack BALOO trained. This is a BSA national rule. The BALOO trained individual MUST be present at all times at the campout. I'd advise having a minimum of 2 people BALOO trained. Last thing you want is to be forced to cancel a pack campout for 50 people because your one BALOO trained person had an emergency and cannot attend.

Get Trained - Good Luck - Happy Camping

YiS,

DeanRx

Thanks for the info. I will call the scout office today. I just wanted to get opinions here since the office was closed when I posted this. I know that someone has to have BALOO training. We started to talk about going to the Troop Camp ( a camp that is owned by the charter of the troop) and our one leader said he would go take the training. Which would be great. The person that just took over my job as CC (because I was tired of doing everything) told me that we can not camp there anyway because there are no flush toilets. So my husband and I were really talking about it last night and I thought this was the best place to ask!!!

Melgamatic....that is funny...the big adverisement is flushies!!!

After talking to my husband last night we just thought this was the dumbest thing so I told him I would ask here and also call tomorrow.

Thanks so much for all your input!!!

In this council, it is up to the families to decide where they want to camp. Nothing about flush toilets mentioned as I remember. The whole idea behind a family campout is that it is a 'FAMILY' campout. They decide the food, the site, the gear, etc., and whether or not to go. Not the council.

This is one of the things that differs from council to council. The G2SS does not mention anything regarding flushable toilets, just to maintain council regulations. However the BALOO leader is a must no matter which council your in.

In our council we are required to have flush toilets and running water to camp. Also, we have to have the campsite approved by council along with the tour permit. I don't always agree with the toilets rule but with Tiger Cubs I guess it is probably better to be on the safer side.

DeanRx has it, as presented on page 17-18 of the 2009 G2SS. It also states (clearly) that Cub Scouts may only camp at "Council approved" sites ("councils use Pack Overnighter Site Approval Form, No. 15-508"). I opened up a can or worms 3 years ago when I asked from the council approved list from the DE.

This list should be maintained by the council. Whether or not your council does this or not is a matter for debate.

I always thought that if the OA and any "resident" camp inspectors (especially ones who are OA leaders) could put together a list of this sort without much hastle, but it hasn't happened here.

BALOO training (though as dry as Death Valley) is good material for Cub Scouters, and I would recomend it to all Cub Scout leaders who camp.(This message has been edited by Buffalo Skipper)

Neal,

That may be what your council says and/or allows but our council requires flush toilets. If I where to fill out a form where sanitary toilets where within 300 feet, they would still want to know if they where flush toilets. Perhaps it is different where your at, wish it where different here.

Can you use Pit Privy and sanitary in the same sentence? At a nearby BSA camp in the summer, the pits could gag a dog off a gut wagon.

BALOO training should - if nothing else, go over "moron level" camping do's & don'ts, Tour Permits and what's expected in your council.

If it actually covers anything about how to put on a good, fun pack campout - you've lucked out. Over the years, we've developed a list of what works & what doesn't; the official training doesn't go into any of that stuff. For example, always use sausage patties for breakfast - not links (the links roll off the griddle unless the stove is very level, and I have yet to find a level campsite).

NC