Liablilty for siblings on BB range

Something brought to my attention tonight.

We have siblings coming along to our pack weekend at the cub camp(2 are boy scouts) and are 2 girls (2nd and 6th grade), one 3rd grade boy (have tried to get him to join!) and Kindergartener. I am getting medical froms fro EVERYONE, adults and sblings as we do every year for any one on an outing we do not have a current one for.

Do you allow the siblings on the BB range?? Is there a waiver? Our rangemaster and the leader planning the weekend was asking us.(me- CM) We wanted to check out options before we say - no sibs allowed ot do bb's.

I did tell them they are not covered by BSA unless they are coing as perspective members and need to be of scout age and boys!!

I found this information. I am guessing because you said that this is a Pack camping trip, that you are going to a Council camp and using a certified range instructor? If so, and the Council has approved, there is no reason that siblings may not participate in the bb activities. When our sons went to resident camp and my daughters were visiting, they were invited to participate in the bb range as well.As long as you have Council's approval, you all are covered under the insurance umbrella while you are at camp.

Check with your council to make sure, but that is my understanding.

Pack 28 CC

Youth members of Cub Scouting are permitted to participate in the shooting activities named in here only.

Archery and BB gun shooting are restricted to day camps, Cub Scout/Webelos Scout resident camps, council-managed family camping programs, or to council activities where there are properly trained supervisors and all standards for BSA shooting sports are enforced. Archery and BB gun shooting are not to be done at the pack level.

Cub Scouts are not permitted to use any other type of handgun or firearm.

Pack Overnighters

Pack overnighters are pack-organized overnight events involving more than one family from a single pack, focused on age-appropriate Cub Scout activities and conducted at council-approved sites. If nonmembers (siblings) participate, the event must be structured to accommodate them. BSA health and safety and Youth Protection guidelines apply. In most cases, each youth member will be under the supervision of a parent or guardian. In all cases, each youth participant is responsible to a specific adult.

If this is a council camp, seems like the easiest thing to do would be to contact your council. I'm sure they've run into this before, with packs, troops and outside groups using the facilities. Local council/camp rules trump anything that anyone here says.

The rules quoted above always apply a pack can't do a bb-gun event on its own hook it is expressly forbidden. That being said this sounds like something the council has set up maybe a family camp. I have worked a bb-gun range at our family camp and we allow female siblings that are of cub scout age to shoot. We require an adult to assist every shooter, usually their parent. Everyone gets basic safety instructions and is required to wear safety glasses. We have plenty of range masters and Junior range masters to watch the line and correct any problems. When they finish with our Cub World camp council may expand the cubs shooting opportunities but that is the council's job.

To clarify the council allows units (packs and troops) to rent the council camp faclities for weekend use in off season. Based on availabily you can rente a cabin, both floors of a lodge, one floor, etc. they have maximum occupancy limits. You can also book the shooting range but must get a rangemaster from council. Our unit has a certified one. They do weekends for family during the summer.

Range told us they are not covered under BSA and to chekc our liablilty. We do not carry our own just eh BSA national.

There is an informed consent form on National site. I was ging to have that regardless for all sibs. Parents will be present for every youth.

Yep. G2SS is quoted in the Pack28 guidelines.

At our CSDC, Archery and BBs are allowed for Cubs and the sibs of Cub age, under the same conditions , but the sibs must register as a Cub for the camp. We have cousins "join" for the camp just to get at the archery and BBs, but if the Pack can arrange the Den Walkers to cover, and they register with the Pack as a Cub, we say welcome! But no can do as a Pack only activity. Gotta be at a District or Council sponsored activity with appropriate Range Officers.

I recently had this question so I contacted my my DE and this is what I got for an answer.

Accordig to G2SS, BB and archery is only alowed at District and COuncil Activities. THerfore they have set forth a rule that only Registered Scouts (I guess this includes boy scouts) can participate in the BB GUn and Archery ranges. My DE told me that she had no problem telling a sibling that they could not shoot. This was an insurance issue and she would be more than happy to be the BAD GUY/GAL, as that was the downside to her job.

That is what I got for an answer. Hope it helps

In my experiences with our Council as a Rangemaster,

Cub Scout siblings and prospective Cubs (in our Council) are not allowed to participate but are covered if they were injured at the event(ricochet,etc., not very likely but...)

Boy Scout siblings are not allowed to participate unless they are prospective members, but are covered if they are injured at the event.(ricochet,etc., not very likely but...)

I do not have the references handy...but those are also the guidance from the local DE.

They can participate at a council sponsored event (Day camp, scout camp, or other event) if they are registered with the BSA. This would include Learning for Life members, making it possible and relatively easy for the female sibs to be a part of the activity.

Yah, Karen_216. For the two older sibs who are Boy Scouts, no problem

For the third grader who you're tryin' to get to join, no problem.

For the kindergartener who might become a Tiger next year, probably OK but yeh want to talk with da council and the rangemaster about age-appropriateness.

For the two girls, more of an issue. Certainly, they're not covered under the accident/health care coverage, but that doesn't matter to a lot of folks if they have their own health insurance. In terms of liability issues, that's one that yeh have to take up with your local council. Since they're authorizin' the event, it's on their dime. Even though the rangemaster is from your pack, he's acting as a council volunteer on the range, eh? So this falls under the camp property and liability coverage, which has a local component.

They might tell yeh this is fine, or they might say no. If yeh have an inexperienced DE yeh might need to ask the council Program or Field director to get the real scoop. But none of us here in internet land can really give yeh an answer.

Beavah