Foil cooking recipes

Great idea, Moxieman. Have you tried any of these recipes with the foil pack laying on top of the charcoal embers? I thought that was one of the reason for the dense veggies (they used cabbage for the outer layers at my BALOO training). Will the Reynolds recipes work OK on the coals?

They do look tasty!

rjscout, I currently serve as the Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner in my district. It's been about 7 years since I've been actively involved at the unit level. As such, I've done very, very little outdoor cooking in that time period (and miss it). Usually at district events I'm invited as a guest of one unit or another and as such, eat whatever the scouts cook me.

I know I've done some of these in the past, but can't recall which ones other than the cajun sausage and beans. I used pork cajun sausage instead of turkey sausage. It came out really good.

Rule of thumb I've learned over the years is regardless of what else the recipe calls for, if there is no liquid in the recipe, always add a little water inside the packet before you seal it. The resulting steam will help cook your meal. AND always double-up your foil! Use the heavy duty stuff if you can.

I've had little problem cooking directly on coals as long as I remember to add water as I've said before.

Another recipe I did that worked out well was stew beef marinated for a few hours in terriyaki sauce in a ziplock back. Then dump the contents of the bag into foil, beef and sauce combined. Cook it over the coals for about 10 minutes and you'll be the envy of the scouts in your unit. :) This is also where a little cheating like using boil-in-the-bag rice comes in handy as a side dish to the foil meal.

From there, it's a matter of practice to get things right.

Moxieman, thanks for the info. I am trying to introduce Webelos Den Camping to our Pack (only a little camping with a Troop has been done so far, mostly day outdoor activities). I want to do some foil cooking for that camping. I need to do some practicing to make the boys enjoy the experience.