God and Me program

Several from our Bear den are working on their God and Me emblem of faith for the Bear requirement. We have one scout that earned their God and Me last year and has already completed "WAYS WE WORSHIP". He is participating in the current God and Me class. We also have a Den Chief that is participating. Should they be awarded anything for participating?

The Den Chief isn't exactly participating as a leader for the God and Me program, so the Mentor pin wouldn't really be appropriate. He wasn't in Cub Scouts. I'm not sure if he attends church beyond scouts. It think it's a good exercise for him, but know he doesn't qualify to receive the God and Me award like the others due to age.

Get him the "Duty to God" patch from PRAY, if he's helping in any way with the kids and their Faith.

If you have him concentrating on other areas, and God and Me is outside his lane, get him some other recognition item at the end of the program year.

Would it be appropriate to give the Cub Scout that already earned his God and Me the Duty to God patch too? The Cub Scout started the meeting discussing that he completed it with his grandma and it was a lot of fun.

Purpose:

To learn about and promote religious emblems

Requirements:

Attend or make a presentation on religious emblems and make a commitment to Duty to God

Eligibility:

Both youth and adults of all faiths

(This message has been edited by ManyHats)

Many denominations have Scouting organizations. Check with yours to see if they offer any appropriate awards. The National Lutheran Association on Scouting offers some beautiful award certificates which they will personalize and word for whatever your need might be.

I imagine other denominations may do they same. These might be just what you are looking for.

The faith of the DC is not the problem. It's his age. He should be working on God and Church (6th-8th) and not God and Me (1st-3rd).

We discussed it at a committee meeting. I forgot they have God and Me patches and pins that can be bought separately. We'll go that route for both the DC and Cub that already earned the medal.

Hi ManyHats,

Sort of a tangent, but why don't you have a quiet word with the DC's scoutmaster? Supposing that the DC and his SM talk on occasion about how his DC experience is going, there might be a great opening here for the SM to suggest to the boy that he earn the age-appropriate religious award too.