Bear Req or Elective

I had 4 boys stay after our den meeting and pull tabs off aluminum cans. The cans will be recycled and the tabs are going to the local Ronald McDonald House. I thought there was a requirement or elective this would count for. Maybe 6a - "Save 5 pounds of glass or aluminum, or 1 month of daily newspapers. Turn them in at a recycling center or use your community's recycling service."? What would you do?

Get them a Good Turn for America patch and a Leave No Trace patch from your friendly Scout Shop.

We in the field have no authority in any BSA program to modify requirements. There are procedures for Special Needs Scouts, but those require a permanent disability be in place (physical, emotional, or learning).

I'm not trying to change the requirements. 6a is a stretch, since they won't be taking the cans to the recycle center. I just thought there would be a fit somewhere.

They already received their Good Turn for America. For LNT at the Bear rank you have to do a poster. We have that in the works.

Kep track of the weight and give them credit towards the acehievement if they need it. Have them keep pulling the tabs off and esitmate the weight of x many cans x number of weeks. Look at belt loops and electives for the Ronald McDonald house. i also see good trurns as ongoing- you can still log this for the pack.

Or make a "Good Turn" chart and at end of year the person with "most" or highest leve l gets a pin as well?? Or have them reach a certain goal in this.

You missed my point. Not everything you do has to "fit" into the advancement plan.

Go to the Scout Shop (or online), pick out a little doo-dad that says "you done good", and give it to the kids.

Remember, you're supporting 10 Purposes and 7 Methods in Cub Scouting. To me, what the kids did is worthy of recognition under the Personal Achievement purpose ... because of what they did in the Activities Method.

I didn't miss your point. I don't normally try to make something fit an existing requirement or elective. I misspoke to the scouts that it would probably count as an elective. They don't need it as a requirement, but all four have odd numbers of electives. Bears can use extra requirements as electives.

ManyHats, just tell 'em you mis-spoke, but that what they were doing is still a good thing. Kids respect adults when we're open with them and 3rd graders are old enough to understand that not every good deed needs a tangible reward. (Though, if you still want a reward, there are plenty of doo-dads out there, or you could bring them a special snack at the next meeting or something)

FYI - Aluminum tabs are collected for Ronald McDonald House only. The other programs for the tabs are urban myths. Ronald McDonald House set this up special. Your boys are doing a fine job. Then what you do is take the cans that are left over, down to the recycling place, sell them off and take that money and add it to Ronald McDonald House contribution. One can gets double duty. Keep it in mind that the tabs alone (4,175 of them, the size of a gallon jug) will gather up $1.49 so the whole can is the best course of action with Ronald McDonald House. Ronald McDonald House just uses the tabs because it's easier to deal with than the whole can, they store better and aren't messy.

Stosh

Many Hats--

you know there are year segments to go along with the good turn patch- right? If they earned GTA patch in 2008, get a 2009 rocker when it's avail. I haven't seen 2009 in catalog yet and whole pack did auction in Jan and was questioned by council when we wanted to get 30 , 2009 rockers-- there is no requirement you had to wait until end of year- thought this was a good way to start year off right. We raised 300.00 and are giving to our CO building fund.

Keep doing the good deeds- even if it does not "count" it does as you are teaching them to be concerned about others adn to be charitable.

Our Bear Den just completed our visit to a police station and we donated stuffed animals to them for kids involved in emergencies. So they just got their Good Turn in 09.

Our CO had the barrel of cans and asked if we would pull the tabs. I know the tabs go to the Ronald McDonald House, but I'm not sure what they are doing with the cans. We personally split our tabs between the Ronald McDonald house and Riley's hospital. I've heard the tabs are the only part that is pure aluminum and thought they get more money for them.

Well they at least got 4 beads in the jar and a big thank you.

I don't see where this is not meeting the requirements. If they collected the cans, get together on a saturday and take the cans to the recycling center. Done. Sign the book.

Now if you took the tabs off and gave them to the RMH. Then that works for the GTA. Log the hours and make sure they get the recognition. Why is this so difficult.

Better to recycle the whole can.

I was once the 'daddy with the pickup truck' at my daughters school. The school collected aluminum cans from the start of the school year until Earth Day, crushing and bagging them as we went. On the appointed day, I loaded up and took all to the metal recycler. I seem to remember the number 1.6 tons, about $170.

See http://www.snopes.com/business/redeem/pulltabs.asp for Urban Legend discussion.

Congratulate your Cubs for their charity and give them a "Good Deed" patch and then give the RMH a cash donation.

The pull tab program is something that the american legion does here. They go through, collect the tabs, there is a local recycling company that collects them and donates the money in the name of the post. Our Legion post has been doing it for years. So this is something that we are doing as a pack this year.

"They don't need it as a requirement, but all four have odd numbers of electives. Bears can use extra requirements as electives."

...as long as they did not use achievement #6 as one of the 12 achievements required to earn their Bear badge.