Atheist in the Pack

"If you believe there is only one right way..."

Then I believe that in most cases you are very close-minded. Also, doesn't it mean so much more when you can discover the right way through logic and deep thought and not just by doing what you're told? Even if I did believe there is only one right way to believe, I would stress to my children that it is what I believe and not necessarily what they need to believe.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Of course you should kick him out immediately, just as you should kick out an 11-year-old Jew if you belonged to a no-Jews club. In fact, not kicking out the kid as soon as possible might give him th

"Some religions hold that theirs is the only true faith and that it is the parents duty to teach their child that."

If they want to do that then they will but that doesn't make it right. When the free will and free thinking are violated, the situation is no longer right but is obviously wrong.

"Teaching a child something right does not violate free will."

When the child is not allowed to think for themselves and is told that there is only one way to believe and that all others are nonsense...that IS violating free will and free thinking. I don't know of a better definition really.

Honestly we shouldn't be teaching children which side of politics is right or wrong any more than we should teach the same about religion. It is a subject that they need to decide on for themselves. We should teach them what democracy and communism are though.

Its not teaching politics.

Communism is an evil ideology. We should teach them what it is, and why it is wrong.

What about anti-semitism? Should we teach them that to and then allow them to make their own decision?

I teach my children (7 and 10) about Jesus because as a parent that is my job. Whether or not they choose to believe or make a profession of faith in Christ is theirs. That is not removing or hindering any of their rights, it is the basis of faith and freedom, that they will see what is right and choose to follow it.

Besides, children don't have all the rights that adults do. That is why schools are aloud to get away with limiting so many thinks they do without 'violating their rights' because they simply say those right don't exist to a child yet.

Does a child or anyone for that matter have a right to be an atheist? Of course they do, however it does not mean they have a right to be a member of BSA.

Every parent has an obligation to educate their children and that includes religious education, do you force them to take it, no but you teach as the truth and let them do with it as they will. That is exactly what the public school system does, it teaches things as fact (most of which cannot be proven) and expects the child to respond accordingly, not they believe it.

On a side note, Communism is a horrible thing, however Markism which is what Communist attempt to practice is a great idea. It is a utopian world, not practical, but ideal.

"I teach my children (7 and 10) about Jesus because as a parent that is my job. Whether or not they choose to believe or make a profession of faith in Christ is theirs. That is not removing or hindering any of their rights, it is the basis of faith and freedom, that they will see what is right and choose to follow it."

I don't see anything wrong with that. As I said above I think it's important that we teach our children about religion but not okay to teach them which one to believe. Let them learn about all of them and when they are mature enough to make the decision for themselves then they can.

Religious indoctrination is most effective when started at a very young age. It is essential to maintain membership roles.

My brother, when getting his Masters in Theology, was amazed at many of his classmates who never were exposed to other theologies than that of their parents. They had a very hard time when the coursework required they study religions counter to their own beliefs.