Sick scout and the AOL

Hey folks,

I have a Webelos 2 scout who has done all the requirements for the Arrow of Light except camping outdoors as part of the outdoorsman. Is it possible to make an exception for him? He has 60% lung capacity and take breathing treatments. The parent suggested substituting an indoor activity that would be low exurtion for him like bowling with the Scout Troop. Is there any rules or suggestions anywhere to reference?

What can we do?

Thanks

John

Pack 20 CC

Hey John,

My reading of the requirements for Outdoorsman is that you can actually earn it without camping overnight:

Do two of these:

1. Present yourself to your Webelos den leader, properly dressed, as you would be for an overnight campout. Show the camping gear you will use. Show the right way to pack and carry it.

2. With your family or Webelos den, help plan and take part in an evening outdoor activity that includes a campfire.

3. With your parent or guardian, take part in a Webelos den overnight campout or a family campout. Sleep in a tent that you have helped pitch.

4. With your parent or guardian, camp overnight with a Boy Scout troop. Sleep in a tent that you have helped pitch.

And do five of these:

5. During a Webelos den meeting, discuss how to follow the Leave No Trace Frontcountry Guidelines during outdoor activities (See page 72.)

6. Participate in an outdoor conservation project with your Webelos den or a Boy Scout troop.

7. Discuss with your Webelos den leader the rules of outdoor fire safety. Using these rules, show how to build a safe fire and put it out.

8. With your accompanying adult on a campout or outdoor activity, assist in preparing, cooking, and cleanup for one of your den's meals. Tell why it is important for each den member to share in meal preparation and cleanup, and explain the importance of eating together.

9. Discuss with your Webelos den leader the things that you need to take on a hike. Go on one 3-mile hike with your Webelos den or a Boy Scout troop.

10. Demonstrate how to whip and fuse the ends of a rope.

11. Demonstrate setting up a tent or dining fly using two half hitches and a taut-line hitch. Show ho to tie a square knot and explain how it is used.

12. Visit a nearby Boy Scout camp with your Webelos den.

Presumably, he could do #1 and #2? That would satisfy the first part without any actual camping.

Nos 5, 6, 7, 8, 10, 11, and 12 could all be done by a boy with the kinds of several physical limitations you mention, as long as he *did his best*.

At least, that's my take on it. We also have a young man with multiple physical challenges who is currently a bear, so I've been reading all this stuff pretty carefully to make sure he's not going to have any significant road blocks to earning AoL if that is his goal.

Are you referring to needing to earn the Outdoorsman or the AOL requirement of having either Webelos overnighter/ troop overnight/ troop day hike?

If you need the above requirement that is not part of the outdoorsman- and actually states if you did as part of that you have to do again towards AOL - then I'd talk to Council about modifying it based on medical needs. He could probably do an overnighter that was indoors or spending the day with a troop with limits based on his activity level. I'd talk to council though.