Cubscout summer camp program promotion

In the past few years, I have been the person in the Pack that has done the promotion for camps. My first method was handing out the information, and saying these are available. I went to the next level, where I was saying " We are going to camp, who wants to come along also." This inproved are numbers. This took our participation from about 2% to 30% last year. This year I thought of bringing some Order of the Arrow members from out troop for a presentation. This would the OA members by making the fulfill part of there purpose( promote camping). They took it even to a higher level. One of the members is a former Lodge Chief. He says that there is a presentation already scripted where the presenters are in Native costume. This is even better than I had hoped. Do you have any special methods?

- Props and "artifacts" from past years - regatta boats the Cubs made last year, T-shirts, birdfeeders, plenty of photos in a slide show.

- Cub camps usually are matched to a theme, so find out your local theme and dress up accordingly!

- Some councils have promotional videos made. Get a copy and show it to a selected group of kids as a test group. If they were bored by it, throw it in the trash. A lot of times, those videos try to aim at parents and leaders, and aren't action-oriented enough for the kids.

Get a hold of the District DE or if you are lucky your assigned Unit Commish. Somewhere along the line there is a District Program Person

(Executive, Chair, VP, Campchair, some sort title). He/she would love to come out and make a presentation to your unit about Cub Scout Camping and the various permutations thereby. Family Camping, BALOO Pack camping, Cub Scout Day Camp, Webelos Weekend and Webelos Camp at the Council Camp. Son and One, Troop/Webelos invite, OWL (could be called WELOT)Webelos Den Camping . Yes, your Council may have a promo DVD, but you will benefit from a gung-ho special presentation, if possible.

Thank you for being the "go to" person in your Cub Pack.

Keep up the better than average work!

One of the leaders who loves summer resident camp did a really cool power point and showed it at the beginning of the year. We're also going as a pack for a weekend and staying in one of the bunkhouses in off season and doing our own activites. We hope both of these will lead to a record turnout this year in resident camp.

I think taking the unfamiliar away leads to more comfort on the part of parents and kids.

Another thought... the OA involvement is GREAT. I'm very pleased the lodge is taking its work in camping promotions seriously. HOWEVER... I would ask to see the script beforehand, just to be on the safe side. Trust me - the Cubs are going to remember what "the Indian guys" promised them, and if it doesn't match their camp experience exactly, they'll be disappointed. Make sure it's in line with the information you have - which it should be, but it's best to be safe than sorry.

Just ask for a copy so you don't duplicate information in your presentations and discussions. That won't get anyone's hackles up.