crossover help, ideas, tips, etc

I have been appointed troop liason to a Web II den getting ready for crossover. I was a den leader myself a few years ago, and remember the troop handling most of the crossing over part. Now it's my turn. Regarding this position, what are some things I need to do, should do, etc? I am an ASM with the troop. One thing I know that's directly related to my ASM position is to ensure the prompt registration of new scouts. Outside of that, what about the crossover itself? I plan on talking it over with the SM, and also attend the cubs committee meeting to talk to them about thier expectations of me. Anyone have helps out there? I'll take all I can get.

A few ideas

1) have an OA ceremony team dot he ceremony. This is especially good

if you have several troops taking in the new scouts.

2) Talk to the SPL and older scouts to see if the troop has or had an

induction ceremony and use it.

3) Let your older scouts come up with a meaningful ceremony and let

them do it. The best ceremonies IMHO are the ones that the scouts

created and participate in.

That said here are some of the things I've seen.

A) the CM or WDL taking them to the Crossover bridge. Sometimes a gift is given, BSA handbook, shoulder loops, etc. Then SPL or his youth representative takes over and leads them across the bridge. SPL then makes them say the Scout Oath or law after him. Then he and a few other scouts remove their Webelos hats, neckers, slides, tricolors, and blue loops (everythign being placed in the hat), replacing them with the troop necker and slide, green loops, etc. And then a round of applause for the new scouts.

Again this is the most commone thing I've seen, but I know that soem troops have a special ceremony for new scouts.

The process we have used is the boy stands on the Cub side of the bridge, the CM takes off the necker and hands it to the parent who stay on the Cub side. The boy crosses over and is welcomed by the PL of the patrol he is planning on joining with who presents him with a troop necker. If the boy has no patrol who has directly recruited him, he is greeted by the SPL who presents the necker and welcomes him. The boy will have his choice of patrol options at the next troop meeting.

There has always been other troops there as well and the boy decides which troop he will be joining as he comes off the end of the bridge. The other troop has the SM greet all the boys.

If the boy is not joining a troop he has the choice of not crossing over the bridge or crossing over the bridge and then going and sitting with his family.

My boys take note of these boys and begin actively recruiting them before the evening is through.

Stosh