Considering switching Packs

Due to scheduling issues (actually the lack of any type of Den schedule) my wife and I are considering moving to a new Pack.

Ive talked with the CM/CC (a husband and wife team) about this, but they are not moving very fast as I first brought the lack of Den meetings up to them over a month ago.

Even though they have told me they have major issues with this DL they dont seem to

Overall the Pack isnt bad, has issues /problems as every group does, but not having set Den meeting times (or even knowing when Den meetings are) have just become too difficult for us to manage.

So here my dilemma

How would you go about looking for another Pack under these conditions?

1) The DE is new with less than 3 months in the district/council. If I ask him hell send us to the Pack we are currently in. Ive already looked at other Packs around us and either the meeting conflict or they just dont have a good program. I would like to keep it quiet that we are looking and the CC/CM have bee working pretty close with this DE and it would get back to them.

2) Roundtable The CC/CM of our current Pack were asked to take over as the Cub Scout Roundtable Commissioners. This isnt the problem; the problem is they have yet to present a single topic because no Packs are attending Roundtable.

3) We have a Klondike Derby coming up with separate activities scheduled for Cub Scouts were I was hoping to go and talk with some Packs. The CC of our current Pack is running it. Its next weekend and not a single Cub has signed up to attend.

4) As our school no longer has a Pack I talked with the DC about what Packs where in the area. He really had no idea about any of the units and couldnt even get me contact info.

I spent almost 2 months looking at Packs around us earlier this year and I have to say I wasnt impressed with any of them.

I would look at another District but the closest Pack in another District would be at the minimum hour drive each way.

I am being to think that its time to look for other activities outside of Scouts for my kids as I just cant seem to find units that are delivering what I want out from a Scouting program.

I am a bit confused about what you want. What does your DE, the state of your District's Roundtable, or a badly run Klondike have to due with you changing Packs?

You say you want to change to a new Pack, but you don't want the DE to know (why?). Then you state that you have already looked at all of the Packs in your area and don't like any of them. You further state that the Packs in the neighboring Districts are to far away.

So which do you want? Do you want to find a new Pack? Or do you simply want to vent about the lack of a Pack to transfer to, and use that as a reason to pull your son out of scouts altogether?

If you are serious about finding a new Pack, talk to your DE. Or give your Council registrar a call. Or, if, for whatever reason, you don't want to go thru your council, look at the Pack Finder at -

http://www.joincubscouting.org/

It will give you the Pack number and CO of most (not necessarily the newest) of the Pack's in your town, and surrounding towns, by simply putting in your zip code. You can then contact the CO's for Pack contact info.

You can always start up a new Pack.

You can help to fix the den/Pack you are in now. Go around the den leader and organize your current den. Talk to the other Tiger Teams, and come up with a rotating meeting schedule with every Tiger family taking turns putting together, and running meetings (this is called Shared Leadership). Let your den leader know when/where the meetings will be. In the meantime, you can also work with your Tiger at home to complete his Tiger rank requirements.

Or, you can pull your Tiger out of BSA.

It is up to you.

So which do you want? Do you want to find a new Pack? Or do you simply want to vent about the lack of a Pack to transfer to, and use that as a reason to pull your son out of scouts altogether?

I am looking for other ideas on ways to find a Pack.

And actually I am trying to find a reason to keep him in Cubs but it's becoming more and more difficult to find a reason to keep him in.

I would normally go to Roundtable or a District Event find another Pack but It tough when no one attends.

There art a couple of reasons I don't want to go through the DE.

1) The CM/CC of the Pack I am in now work closely with the DE. At this point I don't want them to know.

I have an older son in Venturing and a month or so ago I was trying to find out contact info for all the Crews in the District. The DE had me contact the District chair, The District Chair had me contact the District Commissioner, the DC sent me back to the DE. None of them could get contact info.

This Fall when I was looking for Pack the District didn't have a DE and was told to contact District Chair/District Commissioner. They told me to contact a Pack that had folded 5 years ago.

I ended up getting a few contacts from the District Trainer.

I don't have much confidence going this route.

You can help to fix the den/Pack you are in now. Go around the den leader and organize your current den. Talk to the other Tiger Teams, and come up with a rotating meeting schedule with every Tiger family taking turns putting together, and running meetings (this is called Shared Leadership). Let your den leader know when/where the meetings will be.

I have been trying to go this route for over a month.

The current Den has 9 Cubs from 5 different schools.

I have asked the DL for a contact list but he keeps saying he's working on it but hasnt produced it.

The CM/CC have told me that they are going to put together a parents meetings to discuss this and the other issues with the Den but that hasn't happened either.

In the meantime, you can also work with your Tiger at home to complete his Tiger rank requirements.

We've done that. So far since Sept. the Den has had only 5 Den meetings and 2 Go-See-Its so we did things on our own.

I'm trying to make things happen.

When it got to the middle of October and he hadnt had a Den meeting or even had a Den Schedule I am the one who pushed to get things started.

When in the middle of January and we hadnt had a Den meeting since the first week of November nor did we have any scheduled I had to contact the Den Leader to find out what is going on.

He sent a schedule out with 3 Den meetings on it.

Hes said that he would send out an updated schedule for the rest of the year but I havent seen it yet.

If your son is a Tiger, he should be about to move to Bobcat/Wolf. Why not step up and be the den leader for the next level or asst. den leader. The hardest part of scouting is to remember is it is mostly volunteers -- and life does happen so volunteer items suffer the most. You would want to volunteer to take the den on the next level now (that does not mean moving the den up) but to get trained and organized for when the Tiger moves up. Part of what you could provide the CM/CC is scheduled den meetings/places/times and a plan to move your cubs to Wolf. Roundtables tend to eb and flow. To find other packs go thru national -- they have a locater. As for the Klondike - that is usually and older Boy scout activity so the question maybe do cubs even know they can go.

As for the cub roundtable, ask for a topic to be presented and attend -- get other parents to attend.

If none of this works - start a Pack. There may be others in your dilema and you will be filling a need.

A wise old silver beaver once told me, If you want your son to get the best of the program, who better than you to provide it.

Good Luck

We've moved twice, so three packs total. I've found that all packs are different. An adjacent town has well-organized, well-funded and active packs. I think it pays to look around a bit.

In our town, packs are tied to schools, more or less. I've heard the "but I thought we were supposed to join pack XX" line, but it's not true. You can join any pack you want (although the DE does get a little peeved if you decide to attend a unit in a different district!).

Guy

CNY,

I'm not the type to be a confrontationalist, but...

This is the second thread about this topic you have started this week.

In reviewing the responses form the various participants, the advice seems pretty much universal.

YOU have to do something about it.

Speak wiht the DE. If he has as close a relationship to your CM/CC as you say, maybe that will be the kick in the pants to get them to DO something about the situation.

Who cares if he leaks it. At least they'll know you're serious.

At the next meeting, talk to the parents one on one and gather your own contact list.

The Council office has a list of all the kids/parents in your Pack in its records. Call them and ask for it.

Circumvent the DL and plan your own meetings. If he gets offended, GOOD. He's not doing his job. Someone else has too.

Nowhere is it written that Den meetings have to be on the CO property or even on the same night all the other dens meet.

Have it in your/other parents homes and rig it as your schedule fits.

Worst case scenario and you decide to leave but want to keep your kid in scouting, you may have to suck up that half hour drive each way.

I traded a 45 second drive for a 25 minute one to improve my son's experience.

For next year (Starting June 1, 2009), have your and your wife's paperwork filled out and turned in for the DL position for Wolves.

That way, YOU can control how the program is run.

CNY - please know that I am not familiar with your particular situation and I am only making a broad generalization here....

Why do you not want your CC or CM to know? This just doesn't make sense to me.

It seems to me the first step would be to discuss with the Den leader;

second step after ample time to address (determined by you) would be to talk to CM and/or CC;

third step after ample time would be COR or Unit Commissioner;

fourth Step would be to look around at packs.

There is nothing to hide here as you have presented it. I just don't get the way parents do these things. As a CM and Unit Commissioner most issues like this can be avoided by open honest and respectful communication. I know there are some people who will say well so and so and such and such says this and that. Who cares!

A Scout is honest, respectful, and trustworthy. Be open, be honest, and be courteous. IF a parent wants to leave our pack I will gladly recommend and give contact info and have no hard feelings. Sometimes the grass is greenner and sometimes it's not.

Good luck to you as you work through this - but do what is right for your son. And - what message does just walking away send him?

Lack of Den Meetings? More explanation please. Are you meeting once a month?

Just curious. have you spoke with the den leader. I would start with the den leader. Offer to help. As suggested become a den leader next year, run it the way you want.

I gave up trying to change packs. Things were much worse elsewhere. We camp as a Pack 4 times a year, we have father son backpack over nighters. We hike once a month. Plus district and council events. Plus all of the other Den trips and meetings. Just couldn't find a pack active enough for us.