Webelos program for Readyman????.please help!

I'm new to this forum and I'm trying to find a structured program for my Webelos Den to earn Readyman. I've looked high and low on the web & can't find a hospital, firestation or red cross sponsored program out there in the northwest burbs of chicago. I know Red Cross has the BAT (basic aid training) course that fulfills all requireents but I can't find anywehre to take the class. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places??? Any help would be appreicated.

REQ # 15 Boy Scout troop was mentioned on the workbook I read. Your pack should have a relationship with a BS troop who may be willing to assist. The merit badge counselor for the (BS troop) First Aid merit badge should be able to assist in explaining any of the treatments. Others who could assist: nurse, doctor, paramedic, fireman.

Sounds like you are making this more difficult than it needs to be. These are 9-10 year olds. Our troop assisted a Webelo a couple of weeks ago finishing his Readyman. First Aid merit badge counselor and a couple volunteer Boy Scouts.

My 2 cents

oops forgot to mention Bat and Fact programs by Red Cros our leader not instructor lead. My mom lives in QC and we visit that way frequently. what time frame are you on? I might be able to find you someone or road trip (homeschool) my two eagles are ARC leaders and would love it. how far from Chicago

Why the need for some kind of "structured" program?

Copy out the requriements and then show them to your local Fire Station EMT's. Ask if they can help your Scouts complete them.

We often use our local Fire station for this requirement and have never had a problem. The boys love working at the Fire Station too!

We did this last year by asking the scoutmaster of the affiliated troop if he could get a couple of the experienced scouts to do this with us. They used the Webelos book as a guide, and it went quite well. The cubs liked having the older boys doing it. We went over the requirements at the next den meeting and picked up a couple of things that got missed.

As far as I know, the Red Cross BAT (Basic Aid Training) is meant to be a self-administered course. A prospective teacher contacts the Red Cross to rent the training video (which tells them how to deliver the course) and the program materials, which as I recall is kind of like a comic book with sections to be filled in.

Red Cross trainers routinely teach basic courses such as CPR/AED and Basic First Aid, and they will do the same courses on job sites (called something like CPR or First Aid in the Workplace). I'm sure if you called one of their trainers they could help you figure out a way to best deliver their services to your group. They're friendly like that.

I forgot to mention -- in my older son's den, my den leader wife found out that one of the moms is a registered nurse, and that's how they "taught" Readyman.

My younger son went to a Readyman Day run by another district in our council. I thought it had the potential of being something very interesting, but in my mind it was very poorly delivered. Webelos were herded from station to station in a large gymnasium, seated and talked at for 45 minutes. When that was done, they were herded to another station and talked at. All day long.

The only relief happened when one of their stations was in a pool. They changed and they were herded to some poolside bleachers, where they were talked at for about 15 minutes. When it was done, they got to go in the pool for about ten minutes, where 5 of that was used for a buddy check. Then they had to dry off and change back into their uniforms. Pretty disappointing, I think.

I am a ARC IT. I teach Lifeguarding(this is pool,water park,waterfront and BSA)I am also an Aquatics Director for the BSA. CPR/AED/rescue breathing, and taylor programs for the Web age scouts. Along with the ARC materials, I provide a hands on practice program. I believe doing is the best way for everyone to learn. (30+ years experience)I have currently taught about 400 Lifeguards in our area. Our Cub Camp is unique and has a lake water front. My joy has been seeing Scouts of all ages apply these skills in real life situations very effectively. Like I said before - my mother lives in the Quad Cities and a road trip could be a possibility or I would be happy to contact the ARC there and help you out.

Sometimes city gov'ts will conduct emergency preparedness drills where they run a mock disaster & response scenario. I know that some of our scouts (both webelos and boy scouts) have participated in those and usually they have a lot of fun while also learning a great deal. You could see if your local gov't has anything like that planned.

You should also definitely contact local troops (plural!). Most should be able to offer you assistance, either in the form of sending a couple of older boys to your meeting to teach basic 1st aid, or in terms of inviting you to their upcoming first aid-related activities. This is a common activity for many troops in the springtime, as they have a bunch of brand new scouts who need to learn first aid essentials for their early ranks anyway.

One of my boys' father is a paramedic in our fire dept. so he will be teaching the boys along with possibly a few other EMTS/AEMTS/Paramedic that work with him. We will be going to the fire dept when we work on this. I will give the dad a copy of the requirements & find out when his schedule will permit us to visit!

Good luck!

Have you asked your chartered organization for a place at their facility. We also use the local Metro Park for some of our trainig and the boys and siblings love it. One parent can cook hotdogs during the training and feed the boys after the training is completed. Many Metro Parks have programs designed for all scouts of all ages, talk to the Park Naturalist or Ranger. Good luck.