Cub Scouts mom/child, dad/child, family/child

Overall, I'd say that about 45% of our pack's scouts come most often with mom, about 45% with dad, and about 10% with a grandparent who has legal custody. Moms are the primary scouting partner for all of the scouts in my Webelos den.

Cub Scouts are for boys and their adults partner, male or female. Having said that, I think that for many boys being raised by mom alone, or in situations where dad is not a good role model, Scouting can expose them to positive male role models.

What Annie describes was what I witnessed in cub scouting too, both when it came to parental/family involvement, and when it came to the mix of people who served as leaders. There's nothing saying women can't or shouldn't be involved in scouting (and some of the most outdoor-savvy people I've met in scouting have been women, by the way). And equally, there's nothing saying that boys can't find good male role models, other than family members, in scouting too. If your pack thinks otherwise, you might want to look around and see if there are other packs in your area. In most places, women being involved in scouting is the norm, not the exception.

In our Pack, it depends on the Den. Some Dens have mostly Dad's involved, some Dens have mostly Moms, and some Dens have a good mix. I have seen a good mix of gender with all of the Cubmasters who attend Roundtable, too.

When I was a Cub in the late 60's, the Wolf and Bear Den Leaders were Den Mothers, but the Webelos Den Leader were always the Dads. Moving to Boy Scouts, all the involved adults were Dads. Quite a mix these days.

karen1970 posted - "It seems like Cub Scouts is more of a father/son thing am I right?"

Actually, Cub Scouts is a FAMILY thing. The program works best if both parents are involved.

If your wife wants to get involved in your son's den and Pack, more power to her! You are both a big part of his life. Why shouldn't you both be a part of his Scouting experience too?

I'm the Den Leader and DH is the Adult with DS. That works very well for us because DS has someone to focus on just him when we do stuff and I can focus on ALL the boys. We have one who comes with dad, one who comes with mom, one who comes with GREAT-grandpa, and two who come with both (mine and another).

Overall, Cub Scouts is definitely a family program. I'm the main Scouter in our house and my husband comes with us to Pack meetings and campouts. I go to Den meetings & am active in leadership (Comm Chr this year, Webs DL next :) )

In our Pack, it's probably 40/60, with "Dad" having a slight lead on "Mom".

I know lots of people who think this is a great father-son bonding experience, and they're right. It's also a great mother-son bonding experience, too.

we have 1 girl and 1 boy and the girl is older by a couple years...

when my daughter started GS I was involved with that... when my son started CS my husband was involved with that until my son's year at wolf when my husband moved up job positions and had huge work load and traveled about 1-2 times a month. He finished as den leader that year, though I planned the den meeting activities and passed info over to him. Then when my son reached Bear my husband had to drop from being den leader and I stepped up.

my husband is not a camper... he's not a builder (in fact his nickname is "hander of tools & tightener" LOL)... so scouting just isn't his thing. So, I am GS troop leader and Service Unit Manager, and then with boy scouts I'm committee member and often go camping with them too. My husband steps up when there is a conflict in each kid has something going on - then he shuttles our son to and fro. And then when I'm camping with 1 of them he has his special time with the other child... it works out great for us.

but then, we aren't really a "typical family" in the "traditional sense" I'll never forget the campout out when he called my phone to inform me the garbage disposal wasn't working... I told him I'm camping out in the middle of nowhere I can't do anything about it until I get home. it wasn't repairable so I went and got a new one, and to please all my scouts (boys and girls) other than knocking out the plug for the dishwasher cord I installed it all using my handy tool LOL

oh, and as to should it be the husband/wife/both... I don't think the kids care who it is as long as they feel what they are doing is important to the family.

It really depends. I am the primary one involved with both pack and taking to acivities mostly because of work schedules and I'm Cubmaster now so i feel I need to eb one goingt o an event I organized. Lots of evetns whole family goes but sometimes just on of us with our son if we can't afford all of us. Lots of overnights it seems Dad's go but we have a good mix of both.