Gift for outgoing Cubmaster

Our Cubmaster has been in place for 9 of the 10 years our pack has existed. His youngest son will be crossing over this March so he's gonna be gone.

I'd like for the pack to honor him with a special gift at B&G but haven't had any great ideas. We traditionally get a hiking staff for any leaders who age out, but given his years of dedication, I think something more substantial is in order. Somewhare in the $50-100 range would be good.

I would like to ask for some assistance from the years of wisdom on this board.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

You did not say whether the older boy(s) are involved in Scouting still or not, and whether the outgoing CM is involved in their troop if they are.

If he is involved in Boy Scouts too, and is involved with the outdoor activities, perhaps a piece of really nice camping gear he does not already have? You may be able to get a good tent or backpack or something on sale and come in around budget. Or even a luxury piece of equipment, a hammock or luxury/fancy camp chair (rocking chair ha ha).

If his older boys are not in scouting, I like the scrapbook idea from Eagle92. You could also purchase one of those electronic picture frames, and get all the pictures you can and copy them to it.

As a CM (one that will someday be on his way OUT), I can tell you the scrapbook thing would mean the most. Maybe I'm a sappy guy, but a reminder of WHY I do what I do would be the best.

Other than that - Having someone step up and continue the tradition is what I hope to get when I "age out" of my position.

My largest fear is building a successful program and having it fall to shambles in a couple years because no one will pick up the ball and run with it. Want to give a great going away gift - VOLUNTEER to take their place !!!

DeanRx

• 2 weeks later...

As a CM who served 7 years with a pack (as CC or CM) who's youngest just crossed over, I know what you're going through. The new CM asked me about how I would feel about several not inexpensive ideas for recognizing me at the B&G Banquet. After thinking about it for a couple of days, I suggested that rather than something for me, I would like to see the pack create a scholarship either for a Scout to go to Day Camp/Resident Camp (I've been a Day Camp Director for 4 years and I'm the Council's Cub Camping coordinator as well) or for a leader to go to Wood Badge every third year when our Council hosts it. He liked the idea and was going to take it to the committee to work out the details, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they've run with it in a couple of weeks.

We've also done the chestnut hiking staff ($32) for den leaders who have done a couple of cycles through as den leaders with two sons, rather than the basic $5 hiking staff.

Other than that, I like the scrapbook idea a lot.

Wow ... it took his son 10 years to cross over? Did he know that his son coul have crossed over into scouting 5 years ago at the age of 11 and AoL? ;)

My most memorable gift from our pack is a scrapbook. One den gave each den (13 of them) a page to two to put together their memories, pictures, workds, decoration, their messages to me. It was wonderful. The cost for each den is nominal, but the memories are priceless. They also gave a gift card $50 to Academy where I bought some of my scouting gears. One den gave me a large banner. Another den gave me a plaque with each cub signs his name to it. My son's den gave me a hand-carved plaque that have all of their names engraved on it.

1Hour

Wow ... it took his son 10 years to cross over? Did he know that his son coul have crossed over into scouting 5 years ago at the age of 11 and AoL? ;)

My most memorable gift from our pack is a scrapbook. One den gave each den (13 of them) a page to two to put together their memories, pictures, workds, decoration, their messages to me. It was wonderful. The cost for each den is nominal, but the memories are priceless. They also gave a gift card $50 to Academy where I bought some of my scouting gears. One den gave me a large banner. Another den gave me a plaque with each cub signs his name to it. My son's den gave me a hand-carved plaque that have all of their names engraved on it.

1Hour

As the incoming Cub Master, with a Pack of normal-low funds, I not only had a gift for the Cub Master, but also for his wife. Believe me, a Cub Master (or any Scouter) who has a wife knows what I mean when it comes to "doing more than needed". It's the nature of the game.

What I did was present the Pack American Flag to the outgoing Cub Master. But first, during the Blue and Gold, I gave a speech about how this flag had gotten wet in several parades, muddy from the Campouts that always had some kind of rainstorm. It's a little frayed, and faded...but since it carried a lot of memories of the Pack, I did not look forward to "retiring it"....I took it off the pole and draped it over the podium.

At that moment, I had the Webelos crossing over come up and perform a simple Flag ceremony to bring in our "new" American flag. When the Webelos finished the ceremony, The crossing over Webelos returned, folded the old Flag, and as a group, in silence, presented the old flag to the outgoing Cub Master.

I think I said something like, "even though this flag is old...perhaps the best place for it to be is with the "old" Cub Master.

The boys loved it.

I had my wife give the Cub Masters wife a Candle, so she could keep the "light of Cub Scouting" alive in her home and thanked her for all her service.

Cost: 1 New Flag and 1 large candle.