Scoutmaster at Eagle Project

Here's a question for a more seasoned scouter. How can I do a board of review on a scout that his father(also SM) planned and helped carry out the scout eagle project, and instructed all the helpers on what to do and when to be there and so on? Then when the project was not completed, had two other sons go and complete the project with the eagle canidate.

Going back to the original question - there is no requirement for the scoutmaster to be present. Other posts have wisely stated that when they participate, they do so as a worker bee.

Presumably a tour permit is required for an eagle project, although in some areas this may not be true. If a tour permit is filed, then two adults have to be named, but their role should be limited to that of worker bees, and adults responsible for safety.

Going to the most recent post, it is very difficult to deal with these kinds of situations. If the eagle project is properly signed off by all the required parties as properly submitted and processed, and satsifactorily executed, I don't see many grounds for turning down an eagle applicant at the BOR. It seems to me that, if the situation is blatant enough to be public knowledge and widely viewed as contradictory to the intent of the requirement, it should be dealt with by the district advancement officials before it gets to a BOR.

As far as the adult that ran the Eagle project...someone present at the project should have taken dad aside and counseled him that the leadership needs to come from the scout. Had he been warned that his interference could jeordize the validity of the project he probably would have backed off. If he continued to interfere, at least he was warned and could not claim surprise when the district advancement committee refuses the project.

SM does not have to go to Eagle Projects. Actually scouts do not have to go to the project either however it is recommended to allow service hour for the younger scouts and to give them experience on what a project entails. Recently we had a scout propose and execute a project that involved members of sports teams and band members. Went very well and introduced what scouting is about to people outside of scouting.

Having served several times on my district's Eagle Scout Board of Review, the BOR likes to see non Scouts involved in the Eagle Scout Leadership Project. Getting Scouts for the canidate's troop to help on a project usually is fairly easy, getting help from the community is more challenging. I have seen projects where no Scouts or leaders were involoved in the execution of the project, my own included.

the whole point of eagle projects is for the scout to take a turn at directing and leading a project...although there should always be adult supervision, the project is really suposed to be lead by the person doing the project

eric