Injury recognition

We'd like to ask your opinion on recognizing, i.e. awarding a patch and certificate of bravery, a cub scout who was injured during a cub scouting activity.

I have a patch (it's a red first aid "+" ) that I wanted to present to him along with a certificate (that I created) at the next pack meeting recognizing his courage for being brave while being injured.

First Aid was given and he had to go to the E.R. that night. It was not life-threatening, no broken bones (although that was a thought initially) but the situation was very scary and painful for about 20 minutes.

The concern is that the cub scouts will get upset that he's getting an award that they cannot earn.

We'd appreciate your opinions and insight.

I don't know that I'd make a big deal about it, nor would I see it as an "award" - more of an acknowledgment of a bad situation that (it sounds like) ended ok. But geez, if people are truly worried about this being an "award" that other boys can't earn? Then those people do not have their heads screwed on properly!

Maybe, if you are intent upon public recognition, you might provide the boy with something like a box of band aids for his first aid kit (not saying band aids would have been appropriate in the situation, but they're 1st aid-related and cheap and you'll probably get a smile from the kid), and take a moment to mention to all the boys how important it is to learn basic first aid skills and how scouting helps to teach those. Make it a cubmaster's moment more than an "award" situation.

IMHO if the scout truely acted 'bravely', and others can agree, then its probably ok.

If its just because maybe he didn't cry, then I wouldn't necessarily say that was 'brave'.

Of course, I don't know the entire situation, but that's just my $.02.

You'd probably upset parents, not cubs btw. Two more cents...

When I was a scoutmaster, a scout at his first meeting, during the steal the bacon game, did a header into the pin on a door hinge. Mom hauled him off to the ER for stiches while we cleaned up the blood. Thought that was the last we would see of him.

Boy did I have a great story for his Eagle COH five years later.

Do a good little cubmaster minute praising him for his actions while hurt and don't forget to inclued all thoses who helped. Thank the other cubs for just being good scouts for all they did to help situation, i.e being good, staying out of the way

Yah, I think it's a fine thing to recognize a lad who was brave "under fire." Most boys won't get the chance to earn a Heroism Award either, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't offer it to those who have done somethin' similarly notable.

I like scotteng's notion, eh?

Beavah

We had a guy break his arm at one of our meetings. At the next meeting, we awarded him a "Fast Break" candy bar. He is a joker and a good sport, not easily embarrassed, maybe not every boy would like this. But we also talked about how the boys used their first aid skills (they helped splint it and put his arm in a sling until his parents arrived to take him to the hospital) and also mentioned the scouts bravery.(This message has been edited by SMDonHall)

There's something about the idea of the badge and certificate that rubs me wrong. I'm not completely sure why.

I agree with praising him in a Cubmaster's minute. I think that a nice signed get well card would be nice. But the tradition in Scouting is that the first aider gets the award, not the victim.

It isn't exactly the same, but a few years ago, I had a situation where there was a Scout who was very seriously injured and did first aid on himself. It was determined that he probably saved his own life. I pursued it through the National Court of Honor to see if a nomination for the Heroism Award, Medal of Merit or Honor Medal would be appropriate. The answer came back that it was not. Those honors are for people who do things for others. It is expected that one takes care of ones self.

In the same vein, it is expected that a Scout is Brave. He doesn't get a badge for not crying or for not kicking up a fuss.

It hurts when someone is told "no" when they want to do something. Should they get a badge for not crying then.

Praise him for being brave. But, I would say, no badge and probably no certificate

But you are the person on the spot and you have to make the judgement..

I had a situation where one of my new scouts had been attacked this summer and had to go to court and the whole lot. At a pack meeting we presented him with the crime stopper "award" for his bravery in telling an adult about what had happened and being brave. All the boys love looking at it and giving him a big high five for doing the right thing. Havent run into anyone whining about not being able to earn it themselves. I think at this age most boys understand when someone else gets something special because of a special circumstance. Atleast all of my boys have.

Lets all remember that these are Cub Scouts, Not Boy Scouts. A simple injury can cause him to never return to the program. Especially if he is laughed at when it happend. I would say a patch, especially if he has a good sense of humor.

Maybe look through these spoof patches

http://www.boyscoutstore.com/store/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=81

Kids like awards, even if it is a certificate that you print yourself from the computer.