No, never.

Our troop doesn't allow most electronics.

No phones, beepers, games, cd players, radios ect.

The idea is for the scouts to interact and work together not sit by themselves and be self absorbed. One of our primary chartering principles is physical fitness and that purpose is not served by gameboys or other devices that encourage sedentary inactivity. Not to mentioned all the argueing over who's turn is next and why so-and-so won't let me play too.

On long drives bring cards, when at camp and you have any free time (if at all) play with a ball or frisbee with your fellow scouts.

Meetings?!? I almost missed that.

Are your meetings so bad that the boys need to bring games to keep themselves interested and entertained? They are supposed to be scouting at meetings. You know, working on skills, learning, advancing, playing SCOUT games, getting ready for the next big event. That goes double for your actual events.

They want the games because they are bored with your unit. You need to not give them time to be bored by filling their time with scouting.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

WE have a similar ban on all trips with the proviso that all electronice discovered will be taken for the duration and returned afterwards. This is especially intended for road trips and camps. This even includes adults and cell phones and pagers.

My son's troop allows electronics to my amazement. On a long ride it may not be a bad idea. You hope the boys in your troop will not steal but can you really trust everyone else at camporees and summer camp?

My son took 2 gameboys to summer camp. I think another boy played with them more than he did. I know some boys like to play them during "down time" like before bed. I could see where this might help a few of the homesick ones, otherwise they will just lay there and cry. Also, some wind down with a little music (hard to believe with some of the music but true).

What really irks me is the pictures of the boys backpacking with headphones on!!!! When hiking you should be paying attention to your surroundings.

My son's troop allows electronics to my amazement. On a long ride it may not be a bad idea. You hope the boys in your troop will not steal but can you really trust everyone else at camporees and summer camp?

My son took 2 gameboys to summer camp. I think another boy played with them more than he did. I know some boys like to play them during "down time" like before bed. I could see where this might help a few of the homesick ones, otherwise they will just lay there and cry. Also, some wind down with a little music (hard to believe with some of the music but true).

What really irks me is the pictures of the boys backpacking with headphones on!!!! When hiking you should be paying attention to your surroundings.

Our troop allows personal electronics (gameboys, CD players, etc.) but only in their tent or in the car.

I like the idea that if you are going to ban electronics from the boys, no adults should have their palm pilots, pagers, cell phones, lap tops, etc.

As with guns, the electronics are not inherently bad (okay, maybe Gameboys are) but the boys (and many adults) need to learn when it is appropriate to use them.

We took a train ride to Chicago (from Detroit) in February and many of the boys took CD players on the long train ride. When a leader wanted to talk to the boys (we had our own car and conducted some training along the way) they would shut-off the CD players but still have their head phones on. I tried to explain to my son that if a youth (or adult) keeps their head phones physically on their ears, even with the sound off, when someone is talking to them it gives the appearance of inattention and should be avoided. Not sure if he agreed but promised me he would remove his head phones when addressed by an adult. Obviously, when at a troop meeting or an outing outside of his tent, he never brings his electronic toys.(This message has been edited by acco40)

With a Doctor, and Dentist and a Physician Assisntant as trained leaders in our troop along with two Search and Rescue Team members ( one youth, one adult), we allow pagers and phones. All adults are able to have phones or pagers and the use is voluntarily held to a minimum. The adults use the pagers as tools of their work and not as a recreational device

Our troop allows personal electronics for long trips only. They are not allowed at meetings, activities, campouts, summer camp, etc. Once they arrive at their destination, the devices are to be put away or be confiscated for the duration of the event.

Our troop allows electronics for the car rides. They are not allowed to bring them to their tents once we arrive. Mostly to prevent theft.

In regards to the idea that all scouting activities are for scouting and not to be spent by yourself, what are your feelings on boys bringing books? We have two boys that are avid readers (my son being one of them) and they choose about half the time to read instead of playing the night game (Capture the Flag). Should the troop discourage this?

We allow electronics only in the vehicles at the discretion of the driver. They must remain in the car during the event or willbe confiscated and returned after the event is over. We do NOT allow them in tents. The adults do have cll phones, but we ask them to use them with discretion.

I see no problem with books, being an avid reader myself. I usually "wind down" before bed by reading for a few minutes.