New Tiger Den Leader Survivor Tips

OK, before I get started, I am going to say, leave out mentions of Fast Start Training, NLE, BALOO and other previously official training.

I have been talking with a board member off list and one of the thigns that has his attention is what he needs to know as a TDL.

I am thinking things that we have all found that was not covered in training and resources.

My first thing is I reccommend BALOOS BUGLE.

http://usscouts.org/bbugle.asp

This is a great resource that follows along with the monthly theme.

So what else do those here who have been TDL reccommend.

Be flexible, you do not need to follow Program Helps, Fast trax, BB, or the handbook in order. Our council sponsored a Cub Hike in October. It was nice to not have to organize the outing and do the tour permit. Try to combine activities. We picked up leaves on the hike for our leaf rub. We used the leaf rubs to make greeting cards for the troops overseas and turned in our hours for Good Turn For America.

Always have an alternative activity. My boys demand 1 full hour of den activities and by gosh I always have something in my den box if we get done early.

At Tiger age their interest spans about 5 minutes. This sometimes leads to disruptive behavior. Get the boys to make up a Code of Conduct(their rules). Remind them if they get a bit out of line its their rules they are breaking. It gives them ownership of the rules. When you use the cub scout sign to come to order, keep it up and keep quiet till every boy becomes quiet. It will take a few minutes at first, but as they get used to you not moving the meeting along till they come to order it will take less and less time.

Use the Denner/Asst. Denner shoulder bands and change at least every month. If nothing more than a line leader and line anchor. The boys love having a leadership role.

Try to have a gathering activity for the boys. Coloring sheets, mazes, word search, or simple puzzles. Keeping them busy is the key to having a good meeting. KISMIF

Despite your wanting to keep training out of the discussion, if someone wants to know "what he needs to know as a TDL", the best places to find that ARE at training.

Online - Youth Protection, and Tiger Den Leader Fast Start Training

In person - Tiger Den Leader Cub Scout Specific Training

And last, but certainly not least - Tiger Cub Scout Handbook.

Run the den the way that your training and the Handbook tells you BSA wants it to run. One of the MOST important parts of that is to utilize SHARED LEADERSHIP.

Many Tiger den leaders will have lots of excuses why they do not use Shared Leadership, and then complain that they are getting no help.

Another important part of the Tiger den is the Tiger's Adult Partner. Again, some Tiger leaders have lots of excuses for not utilizing the TIGER TEAM concept. Then they complain about discipline problems, and having to work with other boys instead of their own sons.

Every Tiger and his Partner form a Tiger Team that does EVERYTHING together. They sit next to each other and do flag ceremonies, say the Promise and Law, sing songs, play games, do crafts. Whatever they do, they do it - TOGETHER.

Using Shared Leadership, the Teams take turns planning, and running den meetings and outings - TOGETHER. This is why a Denner is redundant in a Tiger den. The Tiger half of the Team that is in charge of planning and running the meeting IS the Denner for that meeting. He is just not called a Denner.

As the Tiger den leader you need to always have a quick activity, song, and/or game ready to pull out if you, or the Tiger Team in charge, hits a snag. If you have plenty of room, relay games with the Teams works well. Keep a bag of balloons handy. They make for great instant games. Purchase the Cub Scout Songbook, or look up Scout, or camp, songs online and make copies of some fun ones. Many sites will also have the tune for you to listen to. Songs with an action attached are always good.

Attend your District's Roundtable to find out what resources your council, and your area, has for your den. This is a good place to find out about that great off the wall place that you never heard of that gives free tours for Cub Scouts! Or that Cub Scout Fun Day put on by your District's Boy Scout Troops! Or that fun craft to go along with the monthly BSA Cub Scout Theme.

Make sure to COMMUNICATE with your Tiger Teams. Do a monthly Den Newsletter. Let the Teams know what they still have to cover for requirements. Keep them in the loop on meeting changes, and dates and times of events and activities. Both in the den and in the Pack.

Make sure that your son, you, and all of your Tiger Teams, are having FUN!

Yeah Scoutnut!

Let's not throw over 75 years of program development and resources aside especially for a brand new leader. The BSA training and resources are THE BEST THING for this new leader. Don't ignore Program Helps, USE THEM. They will make your job of planning so much easier. Use Boys' Life magazine, it has great games and magic tricks in it to use as higlights or as pre-opening acytivites while you wait for the others to show up.

I think some of the best things for a new leader to know is ..relax, smile, talk nice ALL THE TIME. Be prepared, have a plan, have the items you will be using ready to go, try things out first to make sure you know how to do it and that everything works.

Have fun by following the program and using all the great Scouting resources that the BSA makes available to you. You can improvise more as you get more experience and your comfort level improves.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I said lets leave out the training, beecause everyone here know that they need to get the training. That is why I am trying to leave that out. I am not saying training is unimportant, but we know we need training.

I am looking for things that may help leaders. For example, 2G - Visit a fire station or police station. My advise is that visiting a fire station will be a good thing in October during fire safety week. Work hand in hand.

These are the type of advise and hints that I was looking for.

FWIW, I'm going to be the "new" TC DL that was mentioned. With the exception of BALOO and OWL, I've been trained already as a cub leader under the old Cub Basic Leader Training. I know the program and training has changed some, but I have been keeping current with the changes. I am also trying to get some refresher training since I haven't used those Cub Leader skills in a very long time. Trust me I know training is important, having been a training chair in the past. So that's why training was exempted as training is a given. I just wanted some ideas on what to prep for and get ready to do.

What brought up the conversation is that my district does not have a training chair at the moment. I have a feeling that once I step down as OA chapter adviser in march, I'll be asked to do training again, with an emphasis on Cub training because no new cub leaders have undergone training yet except for the online stuff. With no DE, and no council newsletter to inform us of training dates in other districts, it is challenging for the new folks. And don't get me started about RT as only ONE PERSON showed up for CSRT this month. yes we have some challenges. So another reason I wanted to know about additional resources is so that I could get them and share them when I do become training chair again. heck even if I am not chair, I will 99.99999% likely be asked to staff the training, been asked to already and had to turn sown b/c of OA obligations, and I want to be prepared.

So here's what I got

#1 TRAINING, TRAINING, TRAINING

#2 Baloo's Bugle

#3 Show no fear

#4 Drink lots of bug juice.

#5 Remember sometimes adults don't play nice with each other.

#6 Have FUN!!

#7 It's for the scouts.

#8 Ask others (parents) to do things to help.

#9 Boys will be boys.

#10 be flexible

#11 alternate activities

#12 TC Den Rules that they make

#13 Denner and AD

#14 KISMIF

#15 Roundatbles, (Gotta get that one going)

#16 Program helps (I advised every new leader to get a copy when I worked supply and was ALWAYS told

they are great and thanked for the advice at sometime during the year)

#17 Boy's Life, ( gonna have to steal my son's copy ;) )

#18 Den Newsletter

#19 coordinate activities with monthly themes, i.e. Fire station with Fire safety month, etc.

Again anything and everything is welcomed in the form of advice.

Also stupid question but here it goes: I know when I was an ASM way back when SCOUTING Magazine had some program helps in them. Ok I admit I didn't use them as the SPL and PLC handled all that, but since getting on the district level I haven't seen the inserts. Do they still place the inserts for unit serving leaders?

"Also stupid question but here it goes: I know when I was an ASM way back when SCOUTING Magazine had some program helps in them. Ok I admit I didn't use them as the SPL and PLC handled all that, but since getting on the district level I haven't seen the inserts. Do they still place the inserts for unit serving leaders?"

Scouting Magazine is supposed to have an insert for the addressee based on the primary registration of the addressee. If you are registered as a DL, you receive the help insert for that position, if a SA, you receive the insert appropriate for that position. Not sure if that will continue, with the possibility that they may move to an electonic distribution only.

#8 Ask others (parents) to do things to help.

Shared Leadership is more than simply asking others to do a few things to "help". It is a Tiger and his Partner planning and running meetings.

#13 Denner and AD

Not really needed if you use Shared Leadership. You have your Tiger Teams of Akela and Shere Kahn! Save the Denner and AD for the Wolf den and older.

A Tiger Den Leader is essentially just a backup and a coordinator. Your job is to introduce these FAMILIES to Scouting, give them a taste of leadership, show them the program is fun, not rocket science, and get them hooked.

If done right you will have no problem retaining Scouts, or providing future adult volunteers for the Pack.

Don't do it all yourself. After each meeting have a huddle with den parents. Use them as resources. you never know who they know or waht they know. Maybe one is a volunteer Fire fighter and will give a demo or things like that.

On go sees its if there is an admission charge always ask if they give scout groups a discount. We've found considerable discounts and some evetns to be free.

Look at council sctivites to meet some of your requirements. Scout evetns and nights and participate as a den - if pack is offering it encourage your den to go.

Encourage your parents to step up in the pack. Your families are the future of the pack.

Go to committee meetings and roundtables and pow wows. All great resources.

Encourgae youir kids to do summer cmaps- they are not too young to do the resident camps in the summer. They'll earn lots of loops and pins and advancements- my son only has one more requirement for Ber badge due to 75% being done in camps.

Finally the old KISMIF- Keep it simple, make it fun. Rememeber these are kids- think and act like a 6 year old- the sillier or grosser it seems the more they love it!! Take breaks to run off steam. If they arent' paying attention go to something else.

Ask other leaders what they did as Tiger leaders and are doing now.