Asst. Cubmaster duties

Hi. I am wondering if you can share what your pack's ACM duties are or if you are one what your duties are? I am the CM and since our Tiger leader quit I had to step up and become leader since no one else would and the tigers have not had a steady den meetings since joining late sept. Our ACM has not really stepped up to help but now I really need her to.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Melissa

Cub Master Pack 365

Florida

I hate to do the cut and paste, but here is what the BSA says. Responsibilities: An assistant Cubmaster's responsibilities (as designated by the Cubmaster) are to Help the Cubmaster as needed.

Be ready to fill in for the Cubmaster, if necessary.

Complete Cubmaster Fast Start Training and position-specific Basic Leader Training. Attend monthly roundtables.

Participate in pack meetings.

Supervise den chiefs and see that they are trained.

Conduct the monthly den chief planning meeting for all den leaders, assistant den leaders, and den chiefs to plan and coordinate weekly den meetings and pack meeting participation.

Work with neighborhood troops that supply den chiefs and into which Webelos Scouts may graduate.

Help inform pack leaders of training opportunities and arrange for them to attend training sessions.

Work with the pack committee to develop and promote an ongoing plan for recruiting new boys.

Work with the Cubmaster and pack committee on pack reregistration.

Help with pack activities, such as dinners, derbies, bike safety workshops, service projects, etc.

Work with the pack committee on outings to see that the pack and dens qualify for the National Summertime Pack Award.

Participate in the annual pack program planning conference and pack leaders' meetings. Promote the religious emblems program.

Basically, you have the same responsibilities as the CM.

The ACM is there to back up the CM when he needs it. We have talked about dividing up certain responsibilities like, outings, advancement etc. kind of like you would have on the committee

Mostly, the ACM's job is to be the "back-up". They are the Tonto to the CM "Lone Ranger".

My ACM is ready to step in and run the Pack Meeting, if I'm not able to attend.

He also:

1) Organizes and presents awards / rank advancements

2) Acts as camping chair on the committee

3) Is ready with a game / round-up activity for the Pack Meeting, so I and the CC can go over any last minute items w/o having to police scouts as they arrive.

4) Aids in the annual planning meeting

5) General Gopher and "other duties as assigned".

IF you are having trouble getting your ACM to help you outm you need to just ask her point-blank. See if SHE wants to step in to ad hoc Tiger DL (until a replacement is found).

Sorry to break the news to you - you can not be a CM and DL at the same time. Not only is contrary to BSA policy, but to attempt both would mean you will not be able to do a quality job at either post.

I would:

1) Have a talk w/ your ACM about sharing duties

2) Recruit, recruit, recruit.... a new Tiger DL - it really should be someone with a child in the Den. Kid in the Den = vested interest in the success of the Den.

Best of luck,

Dean

What an assist unit leader does is dependent largely on the needs, strengths and weaknesses of the unit leader.

As a Cub master I had an assist cubmaster for physical arrangements. He coordinated the set up and clean up of every pack event we had.

There was an assistant for ceremonies. He gathered or built props and organized the ceremonies for pack events.

There an assitant for Tiger cubs. She helped shepherd the Tiger leaders through their first year of den leadership.

There was an assistant for program, who helped me with agendas and outside resources and subbed for me when I was not available.

In a smaller pack I may not have needed so many assistants. So what you have assistants for depends on the needs of the leader and the program of the Pack.

BW