Pack starting in January

Has anyone had experience in starting up a Pack in January? Seems like, unless they met through the summer, they'd only have 5 months to complete their requirements. The Pack is small; only have Tiger and Wolf dens.

Shouldn't be too much of a problem to complete Bobcat/Tiger or Bobcat/Wolf between January and June (unless a lot of the kids are in baseball, also). When I was a Tiger Denleader, we finished the Bobcat/Tiger requirements between the middle of August and February, with a 3 week break for Christmas.

I think it would still be possible to earn the advancements. The certainly can earn the Bobcat badge.

Even if the don't earn their badges their is a lot more to Cub Scouting than earning advancements.

I would not let that be a reason to wait to Fall to start a Pack.

The Cub Scout Leader Book specifies that if a Scout has not finished a badge by the end of the school year, his leaders may give him "a few more weeks" to complete the requirements. This situation seems ideally suited to that lee-way.

As others have said, however, there really isn't any reason the Scout shouldn't be able to complete the rank requirements in 5 months. This would be a good opportunity to use the FastTrack program:

http://www.scouting.org/CubScouts/FastTracks.aspx

Thanks all, for reminding me that "it's not all about the requirements." I need to get back in the "fun" mode of Cub Scouting and it's difficult to do when I've got 6 Life Scouts in my troop bearing down on Eagle projects! I'm sure these Cubs can get through their books in 5 months and will suggest that. I also want to suggest a Spring recruitment which may help, although our Council historically only recruits in the Fall. I'm the Dist Training Chair, not a DE, so may need to go there for approval. Any suggestions from your collective minds about conducting recruitment in the Spring?

-Bolo

If you do Spring recruitment make sure your Pack has an ACTIVE Summer program. Minimum would be one Pack activity each month. Two would be better.

If they must wait 3 months to do something Scouting you will loose them by September.