Paracord Crafts

Has anyone here every tried doing activities with Paracord (AKA 550 Cord) with their Cubs. I found some directions for one using a Cobra Stitch. I was thinking about having my Webelos make a lanyard to hang things like compass, whistle and the such. This one that I found makes a nice lanyard that provides 4 dangles for attachments.

I also have thought of some plans to make a loom that will help the boys hold the things straight.

Anyone else have crafts that they have come up with. If so do you know where I can find the directions.

I was looking at some of the things that you can make with 550 cord. I was thinking about trying to make a little survival kit. Seeing if there was a way to put some fishing string and hooks in it also. maybe that can be something that can be done when making it.

This would provide not only string and items for fishing, but it could provide the large/strong string and the little strings that you may need for survival.

Or maybe making a Neckerchief slide. Just making a short cobra stitch set up. I think that I might try this today.

Yep you can make a Turk's head knot, aka a woggle, with paracord. I've see it done with surplus paracord, and someone makes the stuff in red white and blue. the WB course used that for the students to make their woggles.

When I was at the '89 jamboree, I made a buch of woggles with the stuff and clothesline. I was able to swap for alot of patches :)

Teach your boys to tie the Turk's Head and the Monkey's Fist - both are do-able for older Cubs and the boys get a real sense of accomplishment when they show them off!

We also used 550 cord to make our own version of Army Ranger pacer beads. This was a lot of fun for the boys and they still enjoy wearing them. We did this as part of a Webelos orienteering weekend campout. I didn't have any real plans, just looked at a picture and fashioned a copy.

Of course "macrame" style knots also make good key rings.

clyde

I used the Cobra stitch, and made an interesting neckerchief slide. Yes I even tried it out.

I think that with some of these things I have enough to finish out the Craftsman.

Thanks for the help guys.

If you have any more advise, or suggestions please let me know.

If one is into the hippie scene, there's a ton of old macrame books out there that give a lot of insight into how to make great thingies with paracord. They also make great grips for walking sticks and other things if one gets into mariners' knot books.

I have a sequence of 4 strand turk's head knots on my walking stick and 50' of cord half-hitched for storage if I need cord for an emergency. A 3' piece of cord makes a 3 strand of turk's head woggle. Also an additional length on woggle will suffice for a whistle strand that reaches the shirt pocket and doesn't wrap around a boy's neck. Worse case scenerio, the boy snags the cord and it pulls the woggle off the necker instead of choking the boy.

Stosh