Badge Magic Patch Adhesive Kits

Some of the scouts in our Troop use them. They work OK, but not great. I would reccommend them for patches (like ranks or temporary brag patches) that you will only wear 6 months to a year. After that, the adhesive seems to lose its grip from washings, use, or time. Stick with sewing on the more permanent uniform patches.

I used them for my son's Cub badges that I knew were never going to be taken off of moved. For that, it works great....if the corners start to curl up or whatever, a few stitches and you're good. It's definitely not "permanent" but for little cubs who will outgrow their shirt relatively quickly, it's a good thing. Washing is no problem at all when I used it. At most, the corners started to come up and I'd go back and sew when necessary.

It also works well to keep badges in place while sewing them on (especially those arrow points), if you happen to be anal like me about positioning. However, sewing through the badge magic goop gets the needle all sticky and pretty useless, so I would put a small amount of Badge Magic in the middle of the badge to avoid sewing through it at the edges.

However, if you plan on taking off the badge and replacing it (think Quality Unit patches), there's alot of residual goop that I never bothered trying to get off...sort of a mess as I recall.

Don't like the stuff. Leaves adheasive on the shirt. Even our Dry Cleaner owner scouter cannot get most of it out. They may have changed the formulation but I would test it on something else first. Also if not done correctly it does'nt hold. We had an Eagle at his EBOR with his merit badges slowly falling off during the whole board. I felt a bit sorry for his as it added to his nervousness. We made sure we searched the floor so he could go home with all of them. Sewing is safer and cleaner.

For temp badges - get the clear holders that attach to the shirt button.

Don't like it.

I tried to sew on a patch that had been badge magic'd on, but was coming up at the edges and the needle got so gunked up, it wouldn't go through the fabric anymore.

One patch came off it's backing, leaving the backing on the shirt (not the world crest, which even BM warns you will do this) I managed to get the backing off of the shirt, but nothing I did would get the badge magic off, not Goof off, not wd-40, nothing.

More than one person in our pack has a badge magic stain on a shirt where they put a patch in the wrong place or for some reason removed a patch and didn't replace it with one the same size/shape.

Not worth it.

With the plastic badge holders for rank and arrow points, it's not needed there.

Council patches, numerals and such already have the heat activated glue on them that serve well for temporary placement holding while you stitch.

Yes, found that out the hard way last year when my son was using my old shirt from the 80's. Learned to throw some stitches around them to keep them in place. Like I said, I use it for a temp holding so I can be sure they're in the right place and straight before I sew. Nothing's more frustrating than going all the way around a patch, only to find out it shifted on you and is now crooked.

I'm one of those guys that's a bit anal about appearances...

Another scouter taught me to us a stapler to hold the patches in place for sewing. Work well without waiting for something to dry. Easy enough to remove and reposition if not exactly correct first time. Just try not to staple into the stiching of the design (if you do and some start to stick up, use a fray check solution to stop that. I use fray check on anything that might start to loosen - buttons, buttonholes, and edging of numbers and knots)

I tell my parents that the best suggestions is to sew them on. My wife has agreed to help those who do not know how to sew. (Even though I just find that hard to believe) She said that she would sew the patches on with the machine and charge $1 per patch, and $0.50 goes back to the pack funding. Helps out the pack and pays her for her time.

Figure Council, Numbers (3 of them) World Scouting Crest and Ranks may cost $6 but $3 goes back to the pack funding. Win-Win.

On the original topic, I have always prefered sewing, holds better and looks better. Personal opinion.