Can anyone tell me what patches are available for the kids brag vests? I'm a brand new CM/DL (I live in a rural area). A few weeks ago we attended a zoo day event for which the boys received a patch. While there I saw several kids with different patches. One was for Christmas caroling. We are going caroling in a couple of weeks and I was wondering exactly what needed to be done to earn that patch and where one could be obtained. Info on any other patches would be helpful too.

Scottawildcat,

If you are interested in a "brag vest," it is my experience that a cub scout/webelos can have pretty much anything on there that he wants. It is really what he wants to show off from his cub scouting experience. My son on his wore all of his family camp patches (9), webelos weekend patches (2), Scout show, Good Turn for America, non-scouting patches which were earned as den/pack activities (hiking trails, zoos, and such), and whatever he has. This is not an "official" uniform item, so pretty much anything goes.

On the flip side, we do family activities (camping, hiking and such during vacation), and we sometimes buy patches which he sews on his daypack, as these were not done as a scout/den/pack activity.

Most of the patches put on brag vests have no requirement other than attendance. The scout shop by us has dozens available for all types of events, and they rotate them every 6 months or so. In addition, scoutstuff.org has dozens for sale under: Uniforms & Insignia, Standard Emblems. BTW, there is no requirement that the patches must be issued by BSA; private organization and Troop / Pack issues patches are OK too (like your zoo patch). You just want to memorialize the scouting experience.

We handed out more brag vests to pack members last night. If you search this forum, you'll find a link to the pattern. By buying the felt on sale, it costs us a little more than a dollar per vest to make them for our Cubbies, and is easy to do. My son, Web I, picks where he wants me to sew each patch on. During a couple of our Webelos camping trips at WI state parks this summer, he earned Junior Ranger patches, and I sewed them on his vest also. Let them have fun with it!

In addition to the participation patches available at your Scout Shop, you can also purchase patches from private distributors. Participation patches don't have to be "official".

There are many provides of these patches. Do a web search for "Stock Scout Patches" and you'll find many companies which offer pre-made patches, which your pack can order. Generally they will be less expensive than those offered at the Scout Shop or through ScoutStuff.

In addition to all the official and un-official boy scout patches there are also other patches for things. Our state park system here in Florida has a state park patch with rockers for each park we have Boy Scouts that have camped at as many as 8 parks. We also have historical trails patches for each trail hiked. There is no limit to what can go on a cub scout vest or boy scout blanket or jacket. The boy scouts can also wear their favorite on their temp patch pocket. We have boys with their state park patch and a string of rockers underneath.

The main question of course, is how much has your Pack budgeted for patches?

Giving out participation patches for every little thing is great, if you can afford it. Those big, snazzy looking patches can run as much as $2 each. That can put a BIG dent in your Pack's finances.

We use the small curved segments for participation patches. And even at under $1 each, we can spend around $400 on segments each year.

Check with your Committee Chair and Treasurer.

It is easy to go "patch happy" and blow whatever budget you have set. Pick and choose which things will get a patch or you will either

A.) Spend a ton of Money

B.) Give patches out for everything.

I am all for giving Scouts as much incentive as possible, it can be a serious money drain if you don't watch what your are doing.

There are Activity patches with segments surrounding them that are fairly affordable if you want to go that route. They actually look pretty cool and the cost is reasonable.

Also be on the lookout for free patches, they are around, you just have to look for them. The Junior National Marksmen Assoc. gives one out for a qualifying score at a Scout range for BB guns for example. There is a Birdwatching patch that is available from an organization that skips my mind at the moment.

Spread the patches out over the year or else you will not have money to give them out in the Spring.

We don't really have anything budgeted at this time but we do have quite a bit of money because books, scarves, sliders and badges are about the only thing we've spent money on the last couple of years. We only have about 15 boys in the pack and over $3k in our account.

But of course I will run it by the committee before making a purchase.

Well then......, Spend as much as you would like on patches. The only problem usually is a budgetary one, which you don't seem to have. Don't forget the Sports and Academic Beltloop and Pin Program as well, Scouts love collecting them.

We budget about $50 per Scout for patches and Advancement stuff. It goes pretty fast.

Thanks ScoutNut. Great site, just what I was looking for. Now I can see if I can get the PLC to get back on that troop logo thing so we have something to put the segments around. :)

What are your other sources? I just like knowing my options.

As a thought, if the scout and/or adult partner has to pay an entry fee for the excursion, tack on and extra buck to cover the cost of a patch.

Often times, the pack covers the fee for the Cubs in my pack, but adults/siblings need to pay a nominal fee, usually 3-8 bucks apiece. One extra dollar wouldn't hurt much there.

That way, you could back-fill your treasury since you have to order the patches in advance. Especially custom ones.