BSA Family Award

I know I read a discussion somewhere on changes to this award, but for the life om me, I can't find it.

Anyway, I recently got a copy of the new requirements for this award, which is now called "Fun for the Family" award.

Basically, the award is earned by completing 10 activities, 2 each in 5 different areas. The family members would earn a patch and a certificate for this. THEN the family members can earn pins to wear on the patch, by completing 2 additional tasks within any of the 5 given areas. The color of the pins vary depending on the area worked on.

Under the old award rules, the family members earned the award once and could wear either a patch or pin, whichever they chose.

My question is this...

I understand that there are now different color pins and the reason for them is the different areas covered under the award, what I don't understand is why there are 5 different color patches. The patch colors match the pins. If the family has done 2 tasks from each area, as required for the patch, why would they choose one patch over another? The book also mentions earning multiple patches, but doesn't explain that, only how to earn multiple pins.

The either/or was in the old requirements.

In the new book, it says, "Upon completion of the award, the family may be presented the BSA Fun for the Family Award certificate and each family member may be presented the BSA Fun for the Family Award patch or patches, according to the requirements that they have met." (This is what is confusing to me, because there are 5 different patches for 5 categories, but you must do two activities from each category to earn the award)

Then on the very next page it reads, "After receiving the patch, family members may continue working on the Fun for the Family activities to earn Fun for the Family pins to be worn on the patches....(then describes which pins correspond to which categories)...Families may earn as many pins as they like during their tenure in Cub Scouting."

It is my understanding that it is 1 patch earned after doing 2 requirements in each of 5 categories. Then if you complete the entire category after earning the patch there are 5 pins 1 for each category. Much like the Varsity C Letter pins where you earn the belt loop first then for completing the entire requirement you get a pin to add to the Letter.

I just looked at the scouting store. I was wrong. There is 5 different patches and pins as well as the Family award patch. I still believe the Award Patch is the main award for completing the requirements and it seems that you can get either or patch or pin for completing the 5 categories. Sorry for the added confusion.

"It is my understanding that it is 1 patch earned after doing 2 requirements in each of 5 categories. Then if you complete the entire category after earning the patch there are 5 pins 1 for each category. Much like the Varsity C Letter pins where you earn the belt loop first then for completing the entire requirement you get a pin to add to the Letter."

You don't have to do the WHOLE category to earn additional pins. Just two more activities.

"I just looked at the scouting store. I was wrong. There is 5 different patches and pins as well as the Family award patch. I still believe the Award Patch is the main award for completing the requirements and it seems that you can get either or patch or pin for completing the 5 categories. Sorry for the added confusion."

That would be logical, but....The main award patch, which is navy and yellow, is the old patch. It isn't mentioned anywhere in then new book, so I believe that it is leftover and/or still on sale for those who started this award under the old book.

• 4 months later...

I have not seen the book for the award but had a question. Does anyone know if there are any restrictions on Tigers earning the award? It is listed in the back of the Tiger book but a pack advancement chair stated that Tigers are not eligible to earn the award, which makes no sense to me. If anyone has the book and can quote an answer on this would be nice but any help on this is appreciated.

I have heard the question many times if tigers qualified for belt loops and various awards. People seem to confuse how they are supposed to get Bobcat rank before any other RANK with various awardsa dn seem to carry it over the whole Tiger year. i don't know of any award as long as it has age apppropriate activities they can't get as a Tiger.

I'd show the person the book and how it even has it listed.

My son as a Tiger earned all sort of things- emergency preparedness and belt loops and even pins.

• 7 months later...

Just got back from Pow-Wow and had a class on this

The new BSA fun for the Family program can be earned by anyone witha cub scout or serving in cub scouting

there are now 5 categories. When a family has completed 2 activities in a category, the earn the patch FOR THAT category. They can earn a pin for each additional 2 activities earned in that category.

so, a family can earn 5 patches, plus like 20 pins (4 per cat)

there are 10 suggested activities in each category, but you can create your own as well.

the only place the requirements are listed is in the nwe BSA fun in the Family book.

hope this helps