Who Should Take Care Of Cub Scout Advancement?

'The problem is too few parents want to make their scout's advancement a priority in their son's development"

Who ever said that Advancement should be a priority?

It is just a method of helping us get to where we need to be.

When we make it a priority, we have made a real mess of things.

Eamonn.

Eamonn

"Do some things need to be looked at and worked on as a Den?"

Yes. You are right. I have two Bear Scouts, 10 Wolf Scouts, and I serve as the Den Leader because (Well to be honest, parents are too lazy to step up and help) and I enjoy it. But I feel that I am leaving the Bear Scouts behind because not everything that my wolves do is directly related to the bears. I have tried, but it is hard sometimes. I cannot force a parent to step up. But I would be failing these young lads if I just said screw it. You know when my wolves are getting their rank at the pack meeting, they are going to come to me and ask why their son did not get rank. Even though they they are also responsible, they are going to pass the buck.

If advancement was not such a priority, then why did the BSA Design the Immediate Recognition Badge. Why even have it. Because the boys love earning things, it gives them a sense of pride.

"Advancement should be a means to an end. Not the end itself."

That is why there are so many different badges and electives

I'm not sure I see the link between the BSA wanting to ensure that all Scouts who meet requirements are recognized ASAP and not allowing the methods that the BSA have in place to work as they are supposed too work?

Boys in the Wolf and Bear Dens have an entire year to meet the requirements. The little fellows who do get done early are able to work on the electives.

If parents don't understand how things are supposed to work?

I have to ask "Who is at fault?"

I kinda think we know the answer.

I for one do not have a problem informing to a parent why their son didn't receive whatever at a Pack meeting and placing the ball firmly back with them.

I have lost count of the number of times I have in this forum, when talking about Youth Leaders (PL's and SPL's) Posted "Train Them, Trust Them, Let Them Lead".

I would hope that if we are willing to allow a young Lad to lead other young Lads, that we might be able to trust his parents to lead their own son!

Advancement in Scouting is always up to the individual. Dens, Patrols and even Crew Members do not have to advance at the same time. Each person works at their speed and at their own pace.

If we allow Advancement to prevent Family Involvement, we are guilty of doing a great disservice to the Cub Scouts.

Eamonn

The purposes of Cub Scouting are - Character Development - Spiritual Growth - Good Citizenship - Sportsmanship and Fitness - Family Understanding - Respectful Relationships - Personal Achievement - Friendly Service - Fun and Adventure - Preparation for Boy Scouts.

Notice it does NOT say Advancement.

Advancement is only ONE of MANY different ways for the boys to achieve the purposes of Cub Scouting.

Instant Recognition does NOT mean that BSA makes Advancement a priority over other methods and activities. Instant recognition of achievements (ALL achievements, not just rank requirements) is one of the ways for the boys to experience the Cub Scouting purpose of Personal Achievement.

If I have a parent who comes to me asking why their son did not receive the same award that other boys did, I have no problem at all telling them that the other boys had completed the requirements and earned the award, while their son had not completed all of the requirements, and so was not yet eligible for the award. I also have no problem referring them back to the many newsletters to them stating which requirements their son was short. They can pass the buck all they want, it will get passed right back where it belongs - to them.

I may feel badly for the boy, but I am NOT about to give him an unearned award simply to make him, and his parents, feel better. I am also NOT going to take over the parents role, and do their job for them simply because they do not want to do it. That's not how the program works.

I have never had a boy quit because they did not earn their rank award. I have had parents work harder, and pay more attention, the following year however.

In our neck of the woods, if the boys participate at all they will end up with a rank advancement. Summer camp kills a bunch of requirements and so do the single day camp events.

To be real honest I could care less if they advance. Usually one Pack meeting awards ceremony fixes them. Sitting there while the other cubs are getting belt loops, beads and arrow heads.

I had one boy in tears because of it. His grandmother came over and asked about it, I showed her my sons book, then his book without any signatures. Next pack meeting he was getting his advancements and belt loops. He had a huge smile on his face.

'The problem is too few parents want to make their scout's advancement a priority in their son's development"

It is just a method of helping us get to where we need to be.

When we make it a priority, we have made a real mess of things.

Eamonn.

Eamonn - I disagree totally. When the pack LEADERS make it the priority, we have made a real mess of things. However, the parents should make it a priority b/c this is how their son develops through scouting.

If the parents and the scout are fine with just hanging out, having fun, going on outings and campouts, but never earning a rank - then good for them.

However, if little Johny Smith is in tears come the last Pack Show of the year b/c he didn't make rank, I'm sure not going to answer to Mr. or Mrs. Smith for why their son fell short on acheivements.

As a CM - I put the opportunities out there. I make people aware of them. I remind them at intervals throughout the year. I remind them as the year comes to a close.

I'll take the horse to the trough, but I'm not going to force its head into the water. I just don't want to hear its still thirsty once the opportunity for water is gone.

The title of the thread was "Who should take care of Cub Scout Advancement?" - my answer was and still is:

It rests with the scout's parents, guardian, etc (Akela at home).

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm coming into this discussion late I know, but I just joined the board.

I'm a Tiger Cub DL with 9 scouts. I have a couple parents who are completely uninvolved to the point that they send their son to meetings with another parent. Or the child doesn't show up. Even the pack meetings and go see its. The same children have not yet completed any electives (outside of the ones we incorporate into our den mtgs/go see its) or any Family achievements. They don't have their Bobcat Badges yet either - that I am trying to work with them at meetings, but I keep asking the parents to work on it at home, and they are not. They flat out say they don't have time.

We've had 1-2 advancement ceremmonies at the Pack level, and most of my scouts have received their Bobcat Badges and even some belt loops. They all have the IRE - just with varying amounts of beads.

I do feel bad for the boys who don't earn an award, but there's not that much more I can do, other than speak to the parents.

I'm new to scouting, this is our first year, and I am not getting any help or info from our local higher ups. I've found out quite a few things from this forum, and other online scouting sites, so thank you all very much.

When my son was a Tiger, I knew NOTHING about Cub Scouting. It was ALL brand new to me--to the point I thought these people were, like, paid professionals. I learned better, but I still remember what it felt like, that first meeting.

It was March, I think, of that first year that I finally got sorted out that **I** had to take charge on my son's advancement towards rank. We had spent a month or more on Bobcat, but had kind of stalled out on the Tiger thing. (The boys made it--got Tiger at our LAST Pack meeting--but it was a narrow shave)

I would suggest you tell the parents of the boys in your den plainly what they need to do. And, when they say, "I don't have time to work with him," respond with, "That's too bad. He can't earn his rank without his parents' help." Make sure they can't sidle away from that responsibility.

It might not help the boy advance, but you have given clear directions, and lined out the consequences. This should (in theory, anyway) spare you their "But WHYYY not?????" when their little dear doesn't earn his rank.

Thanks!

I know, I try to not be judgemental and I do understand when other things get in the way, but its been about 5 months now and the mom is a complete flaker. The ironic thing is she initially told everyone that she wanted to be the den leader. But when 4 of the families found out I was going to be the DL, they all signed up under me, so she followed along.

"I have a couple parents who are completely uninvolved to the point that they send their son to meetings with another parent. Or the child doesn't show up. Even the pack meetings and go see its."

When these families joined Cub Scouts, they should have had it explained to them that Cub Scouting is FAMILY oriented. They should also have had it explained to them that, as TIGER PARTNER, they MUST be with their son AT ALL TIMES!

At my very first Tiger den meeting of the school year, I always explain to my Tiger Teams that they will be "joined at the hip" for the entire year. The adults do everything WITH their Scout, including learning the Bobcat items, songs, games, crafts, etc. The only time they are allowed to have another Tiger Partner bring their Tiger to a meeting is in a one-time emergency situation. It is just not fair to another parent to expect them to share their time between their own son and someone else's every week.

While you might feel bad for the boys who don't receive awards along with the rest of the den, the thing you must remember is - It is NOT YOUR fault!

Now is a good time to send out notes (e, snail mail, or both) to every Tiger family in your den. Itemize what THEY still need to do WITH their son to earn Bobcat, and/or, Tiger. Remind them that THEY are responsible for working with their son to finish these items.

I have told my Tiger Teams that we will work on some alternate activities and outings to cover what some have missed. However, it come down to THEM working with THEIR son.

Let's face it - The Tiger requirements are not exactly rocket science. They can even be adjusted to fit what is available to the family. Then it is simply Do Your Best. How hard is that?

Sit down with each of your slacker families separately and explain the program to them slowly, and carefully! Don't let them pull out the "Not Enough Time" card at all. Just nip that off as soon as they start. Maybe they will FINALLY get it.

LisaNJ -- your experience is not unlike my experience; and I think you're handling it the best way you can. After having been in the program for several years now, I can tell that there is quite a high percentage of parents that expect their sons to get badges whether they have 100% participation or not.

At every step along the way, there is a certain portion of stuff that is supposed to be done at home. You can only ask so many times for parents to do that stuff with their Cubs. Then there are a certain percentage of parents that will go ahead and sign their kids off anyway.

Saw this, this year: Cub moving into a Webelos den. Had a whole series of belt loops from before. Den leader told them, sorry, but if you want to use any of those towards an Activity Badge, they have to be re-earned. But they weren't. Parent just signs off Webelos anyway (these were sports belt loops for Sportsman Activity badge).

When I came back to the program, I volunteered as a Tiger Cub den leader. First thing I did was read through my son's handbook and make a list. Mapped out a plan to step through everything. I did that all the way through. Most parents, I've found, don't even look at the handbook, even when you tell them "take a look at page blah-blah-blah and work on this before the next den meeting, and then you'll have finished blah-blah-blah."

Guy

ScoutNut - Thank you for your advice. I like the idea of making a written list of what they still have to do to earn the bobcat and then tiger badges. I will work on that tonight. I also want to take a minute to say I have been reading the board for the last few days and your advice is always spot on, and I want to thank you, because I've learned much more online here then I learned at the last few local pack meetings. Thank you.

GKlose - yes, exactly, I tell the parents at every meeting, we are working on this today, please follow up with pages xx at home for the xx achievement. I swear, some of them don't crack the book. I'm constantly reminding them to work on their F achievements and electives at home, they are so simple.

LisaNJ:

The CubTrax spreadsheets really help out with this!

Last year as a Wolf leader I managed everyone's advancement in my own spreadsheet, which was a lot of work.

Before the Bears got started I read about the CubTrax stuff somewhere on this forum, and decided to give it a try. It is really starting to pay off now as we approach our B&G because I'm able to generate a one-page summary detailing for each boy what is complete and what is still to be done.

Seeing a summary sheet showing that the boy currently has only 2/4 of the progress beads because he is missing parent's signatures for work to complete at home helps to demonstrate the importance of keeping the books updated.