Dying Tiger Den...HELP!!

Hi all...

I am the Wolf Den Leader (last year Tiger Den Leader), and it appears to be the new Cubmaster in a few months.

Our last recruiting drive in September only gathered 5 Tigers. It was a very disappointing event and that will be improved next year under my watch.

However..

The Tiger Den of 5 is struggling. I have one boy that is ready to quit due to lack of enthusiasm.. and two of the others only show up now and then. The Tiger Den Leader that has stepped up is a brand new leader and very attentive to what needs to be done and running a fun program.. but I think that the boys see it as more of a play-date due to the small numbers (3 or less attending each meeting).

I need to energize this den and recruit some new Tigers, FAST or this den will fold.

Suggestions?

If the lack of number seems to be the problem, might I suggest having the Tigers meet occasionally with your wolf den for some joint activities. This will help the Tigers see that meetings are not just "play dates' and the Wolves can get the chance to act like role models. You can split the time into joint activity time and separate Den time. If there is another Pack nearby you could try having some joint activities with their Tiger den.

When I was a Den Leader we had two dens at our level in the Pack. We would meet on the same night so we could take advantage of the larger numbers for some activities while we could also split off for individual den time.

The first obvious question is where are the parents (Akela; Tiger Cub Partners) and the Tiger Cub Den Leader in all this?

It would seem that you have your hands full as a Wolf Den Leader and as a prospective CM (you are being trained, right?

Also -- it's never too late to join. If you need to recruit, then recruit. Identify prospects, talk to parents, pass out more flyers at school.

However -- if your present Tiger Cub Den Leader and Partners aren't offering a solid program, then why would new recruits stick around?

Guy

I believe when you recruit the future Tigers and a couple Wolf scouts, your problems will be solved.

I brought my son into the Tigers in July. At the time the Den had 3 Tigers, and we currently have 7. I have since become the Asst. Den Leader and in May I will be the Cubmaster (yes, I am diligently receiving training). We currently only have 2 Bears, and we are on a "Bear Hunt". I don't think you have much to worry about, as you seem to be proactive (enough so, that you are in this forum). With a little work and persiverence, you will have enough scouts for productive meetings every time.

Hi bkale,

Never stop recruiting!

Im a new Tiger Den Leader myself this year (also served, and still do, as Assistant Cubmaster for over a year now).

Ive had my Tiger son distribute Join My Den cards to his class at school. I got the card template from a software disc distributed by our Council. Presumably it comes from National. I got several recruits that way.

I teach my Tiger sons religious education class at church and I shamelessly attached a card advertising the Pack (and my den) to the class schedules distributed to the parents of the boys in my class. I did get one recruit that way!

Word of mouth has worked well for us. Encourage the parents of the Tigers and older scouts to talk up your Pack to their friends with boys of suitable age.

Hold a Pack Open House on the day of your Pack Meeting. Our Pack has done that twice with some success. The first time we had the Open House simultaneous with the Pack Meeting which caused much confusion and split the attention of the leaders. The second time we had the Open House portion an hour before the Pack Meeting and invited potential scouts to stay for the meeting. See if you can get something exciting lined up we had a member of our local polices K-9 unit come with his dog. Dont forget den displays, refreshments, and try to get some Pinewood Derby cars to show very popular with the boys.

As for the Tiger den meetings at this point, you say that the Den Leader is very attentive to what needs to be done and running a fun program, but you also say that one boy is ready to quit due to lack of enthusiasm. Something doesnt add up. You may want to meet with the Den Leader and discuss how the program is being presented at the meetings and is there room for improvement. Do the boys consider it a play-date because all they do is play? Are there structured activities and is the Tiger advancement program being followed? Why do you think only two of three boys show at a time? Has the Den Leader been trained?

Im aware of some Packs in my area that have multiple dens meeting at the same time and location and this seems to work for them. If you have access to the facilities it might be something to consider.

YIS

Mike

There is nothing wrong with a den of 5 Tigers & their Partners! I have had as many as 13 Tiger Teams (26 is quite a crowd at a meeting!). Last year I had only 3 Tiger Teams and they had a blast too (they recruited their friends and are now up to 6)!

You say the den leader is running a fun program. However, you have one boy who is unenthusiastic (bored?) and ready to quit and 2 others who only show up once in a while. your problem is NOT that your den is too small. Your problem is the den itself.

Why is the den meeting seen as simply a play date? Are they working on award requirements (Bobcat and Tiger)? Electives? Or are they just playing games? Are they using Shared Leadership with each of the Tiger Teams taking turns running meetings? Are they an active part of the monthly Pack meetings? Are they receiving recognition for their accomplishments? Are the parents having fun and doing all of the activities alongside their Tiger sons?

Has the den leader taken any training?

Visiting a meeting to see what the dynamics are might be a good idea.

We also had low Tiger numbers this year, 3, compared to last yers number of 22. I have been having joint den meetings between my Wolfs and the Tigers. It has been working out very well with no problems. I think this gives the Tigers a good exposure to a functional and busy den. The Tiger leader works on Tiger advancment while I work with the Wolfs. On some advancements, we were able to combine the groups. Game time is also fun and opens up more options with a larger group.

Tiger dens are supposed to be small:

Tiger gestation:

The gestation period for tigers is 100 days, but ranges from 93 to 111 days. After this time she will give birth to a litter of between 1 and 7 blind cubs, the norm being 2 to 4.

In two extreme cases 7 cubs were recorded as being born in captivity, while a tigress was sighted in the wild with 5 cubs, all of similar age; these may well be record births.

So your tiger den is just fine ;) In fact they're probably better than fine, cause I bet they didn't start off blind ;)

Anne in Mpls

I might get called out for this, but you also might consider partnering with a local Girl Scout Daisy troop - not joint meetings, but maybe holding meetings at the same time and meeting place for families who have kindergarten or first-grade girls as well as first-grade boys. That could keep the programs separate while offering convenience to parents with multiple kids or younger siblings. You could also do some joint recruitment efforts.

(Caveat: I've never done this or seen it done, but it seems like a good idea, at least initially.)

• 3 weeks later...

My only advice is to keep recruiting Tigers, they are the blood that makes the Pack go. It's where you get your future Leaders plus it stocks your pack. Make sure whoever does Boy Talks at your School or Church is really pumped up for the Tigers.

Show me a growing Pack and you will see a large Tiger Den......show me a struggling Pack and you will see a couple years of below average Tiger Dens.

Your Tiger leaders are always going to be new, just help them, but don't do the work for them.

Also hold a Kindergarten Roundup in the Spring....They are eligible to be Tiger Cubs. With a decent Summer Program you should have a fine Tiger Den next Fall.

(This message has been edited by pavilm)