frips, carpooling, permission slips

I have a quick question. If you are going on an outting that Council has set up (as opposed to something that the pack has planned on their own) what permission slip do you use for carpooling and/or taking someone's boy where the parent is unable to attend. We have some that want to drive together and one boy who wants to go but his parent is working that day. I cannot get a call back from my DE on this.

Thank you

OK lets break this down as to the multiple parts.

#1 - Boy wants to attend, but his parent cannot.

As far as I know, the only rank that REQUIRES parent attendance is Tiger. And the way that I tell parents is, they MUST have a responsible Family Member who is 18 years of age or older. I had one parent who asked if her brother could take her son. I told her yes, but then I had to say no due to the fact that he was only 17.

#2 Permission slip

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34-38.pdf

I would also keep emergency contact information on hand and get the Class 1 & 2 med forms on file. Just in case you are too far away to have the parents arrive in a timely manner.

YOu need to remember youth protection. If you are traveling and he rides with another driver other than his own parent, there must be at least the following. Two adults and the boy, or two boys and the adult. That example was explained in the YP online training.

#3 Parents wanting to Carpool

Gas is expensive, let them as long as YP guidelines are followed. not to mention that parking will probably be at a premium.

Hope this helps

Thank you, that helps alot. With the exeption of the one boy, everyone is going with a parent. That boy will ride with us and YP guidelines are covered.

Thank you for that permission slip. Is that to be used by everyone that is going, or just the boy going without his parent? If two families go together in one car, should there be any paperwork since the parents are there?

The Local Tour permit was mentioned in our training. As I read that form over I wonder if I am supposed to use this also? It states that it's supposed to be turned in two weeks in advance and have all the drivers information on it. It's hard to imagine that our group would have all the drivers for carpooling arranged that far in advance.

Thank you again.

In our coucil we do not have to submit a tour permit when we are attening district, council or within council events. We just fill out a copy and keep it with us. This will give you time to fill in the carpoolers info. When we go out of coucil that is when we fill one out.

melissa

I would get the Tour Permit filled out. if you live near your council office like I do then all you should have to do is hand carry it in. You can get teh results in the same day. The two weeks is great if you have to mail it in.

Here is another method that you may want to try

http://www.eccbsa.org/forms/Electronic%20Tour%20Permit.pdf

This is an electronic version that our council lets us e-mail in. Maybe you can try this. I would say get as much of the information reference the vehicle information. Find out who in your council office handles these. Make sure you print you copy and carry it with you. I have always been told that it is better to get a tour permit and not need it, then to not have one, have something happen, and find out you needed one.

As for all the other boys that are attending with parents, I would just make sure that there is no doubt that they are allowed to go. Which when a parent is going with you that should not be a problem.

Make sure that you have the YP trained person available.

I hope your trip goes well.

The Local Tour Permit issue for a council / district sponsored event is a tricky one. I have seen it vary from council to council (even vary depending on WHO I've talked with @ my own council office)!

Bottom line:

1) Permission Slips for EVERYONE going

2) Emergency contact info for any cubs who do not have a parent / guardian along w/ them

3) YPG is followed - ALWAYS

4) File the Local Tour Permit... better to have done it and not needed it than to not file one and be told by a "rule nazi" that your pack cannot participate when you get to the event b/c you are missing paperwork. (seen this one happen - thankfully not to our pack).

Heck - we file LTP's and permission slips for Day camp and Fun w/ Sons... people from the pack could technically just register on their own and show up without the pack's knowledge.... but we TRY to get 'em even for those folks.

Its never wrong to fill out a form / permission slip / LTP you think you MIGHT need.

Thank you everyone, this is very helful. I was under the impression that you only used the local tour permit if there was distance and carpooling involved. So, when we meet at a local park for our raingutter regatta or rocket launches we fill out the LTP and the previously linkd permission slip for this too? In those cases everyone drives themelves. Or is this to be filed for every single pack activity that is held away from our usual meeting place?

We have not used any of these forms previously because we don't really have many activities away from the school where the boys can attend without a parent or guardian. I was assuming that if the parent was there, permission was obvious. I know that only Tigers require this, but we were havng trouble with some parents just dropping their boys off for everything and not enough adults to properly watch over them. The core group of parents that always went started complaining (don't blame them) about always being "stuck" watching other people's kids. So, in our pack a parent must generally attend with the boy. Besides, I really enforce scouting as a family activity. There is often one or two boys who really want to go to something but the parent has to work and they usually ride with me. YP guidelines have always been followed, just no paperwork has ever been used.

Sorry to be such a pain on this subject, but since people are so eager to sue these days I want to be sure to get this right. They really didn't go into detail much on this topic in training. .When I call council I am referred to our DE who still has not called me back.

Thank you again for all your help!