Making Knot Boards

Does anyone out there have any suggestions on the types of knots that would be good for a knot board. I am going to be working with the Wolves and Bears on making these boards. Plus it is going to give them something to display. And it will cover some electives.

I was thinking about the following knots:

Square KNot

Overhand

Bowline

Taught-Line Hitch

Then I was thinking about putting a small dowel on the bottom and allowing them to do the following hitches:

Clove

Larks head

Anyone else have any suggestions on knots to do with the boys.

Knots required and/or introduced in cub scouts include: Wolf: Square knot, Square Bow knot, Overhand knot and Overhand bend Bear: Sheet bend, Bowline Slip, knot Webelos: Clove hitch, Taut-Line hitch For the Cub level scouts' knot board, these would be most appropriate.

Boy Scout level knots include: Scout: Square knot Tenderfoot: Taut-line hitch,Two half hitches Second Class: none First Class: Bowline Clove hitch, Timber Hitch Pioneering Merit Badge: square knot, bowline, sheepshank, sheet bend, and roundturn with two half hitches.

Buffalo beat me to it...

I was going to say Sheet Bend b/c it is a required knot for the Bear rank.

For cubbies, I would suggest 5 to 6 knots tops...

Mine in decending order of importance:

Square knot

Bowline

Sheet Bend

Two Half Hitches

Taughtline Hitch

Clove Hitch / Timber Hitch

Extra Credit:

Fisherman's Knot / Surgeon's Knot

A cool stopper Knot like a "Monkey's Paw"

Also important... make sure they know what each knot is used for! Not much good if you know how to tie them, but use the wrong knot for a given situation... Don't want to be lowering a looped slip knot down a cliff for a fallen scouter to put around their torso to be hauled up! You better make sure its a Bowline! Make sure they can tell the difference b/t the Square knot and a "Granny" knot /etc...

Best of luck - I'm getting ready to make a knot learning board for our pack campout next month!

I tell 'em all they need to learn the knots well or else they won't be able to free themselves after I tie them all to a TREE !