Cigar Boxes

(This is actually a Spin Off, but I couldn't get it to work)

I saw the post about the cigar box banjos and it got me to thinking about soemthing that I was think of.

Everyone has a small keepsake box. They are great for holdong patches and neckerchief slides.

How does everyone here think Cigar boxes would go over if I brought them down for Cubs to make into keepsake boxes. I knwo that there is the Smoking issue with the Cub Scouts, but I have a medium supply of the wooden ones and I think that would be a great project for the boys.

If people have a problem with the boxes, they probably would a have a problem with many of the drinking glasses in my house because most have been used to hold beer, wine or a mixed drink at sometime over the past 30 years.

The same people would object to me taking a shot of insulin because it tells the boys that "drugs are okay. Yes, I was told that once and I responded by asking if it was better to teach that if you have a medical condition you should hide it in the bathroom.

Someone will have a problem with anything you do period. Do what you think is right or best for the boys and do not apologize or try to explain.

I got a lecture for taking the cubs to the districts Halloween Night. Several People who were members of the charter organization where worried that the Cubs were celebrating the Devils Birthday, "big sigh". They were looked at the pictures of the boys carving pumpkins, dressed in costumes and sitting around the campfire listening to ghost stories, or actually a legend of the camp. BTW the boys had a blast.

I was asked to take the pictures of the event off the bulletin board, Just sad.

In your shoes, I would bring the cigar boxes in and an alternative for those who object.

I fail to see the connection between finding a purpose for a perfectly fine object and twisting that into condoning the use of something that the object once held? It's a PC world for sure, but I would not hesitate to go ahead with the project and defend it's purpose, if necessary. If anything, the cigar box presents you with a platform to discuss the dangers of tobacco... there are warning labels on the outside of the boxes.

Thank you folks

You bring up many good points about recycling and using it as anti-smoking education.

This helps me with my crafts and stuff in the future. I think I may have over thought this a little, maybe my scout parents are not that bad. I think they may actually see it as a craft object and not a tobacco container