FUND RAISER IDEAS

My Webelos are looking to raise money for a 'fancy' Crossing over/B&G ceremony, and maybe a possible skiing trip. We have 10 Web 2's and 5 web 1's to work with.

What fundraisers have you all found to be successful? We did a t-shirt/tchatchka catalogue with mediocre results. We were thinking of making-n-selling either Christmas wreathes or baked goods; has that worked for any of you guys in the past, and do you have any tips? Most of our parents are burnt out on flyer fundraisers (our kids all sell popcorn AND for school/soccer/baseball/ect), so I'm hesitant to give them another one.

Have one or two of the boys bring his younger brother and then you have a couple of dens so no problem.

All though I question a fund raising event to go skiing??????

The popcorn sale we use the old Send a scout to Camp approach. Send a scout Skiing just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't for get to fill out the fund raising application

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

Have one or two of the boys bring his younger brother and then you have a couple of dens so no problem.

All though I question a fund raising event to go skiing??????

The popcorn sale we use the old Send a scout to Camp approach. Send a scout Skiing just doesn't have the same ring.

Don't for get to fill out the fund raising application

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34427.pdf

Our Girl Scout Troop collected aluminium cans. If your community has curb side recycling, each boy could ask his neighbors if he can help himself to the cans in there recycle bin. If you have a place to turn the cans in, you can get a lot of money fast without having to do the selling. You just need someone with a truck to pick them up, and turn them in. You may also get some from different buisnesses that save there cans.

ok, so maybe the ski weekend thing isn't a good draw... the den before us did it and the kids had a blast (a hotel vacation with thier friends, what could be better, lol)... but I'm thinking we simply won't have and TIME to go away for a weekend.

We could certainly justify using it for the B&G... and THAT is a pack activity so it DOES benefit the whole pack. So echincally if we open it up to participation by the other den, we are covered, right?

And thanx for the reminder about the fundraiser app, I'm new at this whole paperwork thing and would have forgotten it.

Why don't you discuss this at a Pack committee meeting, and see if the PACK is interested in spending more money, or doing additional money-earning activities, to fund a "fancy" B&G crossover ceremony.

BTW - what kind of $$, and how "fancy" are you talking here?

Our OA did a wiz-bang job of a ceremony for a $25 donation.

If you want to go on a ski weekend, why not, again, discuss it with the Pack Committee? Don't forget to get a Local Tour Permit approved by your council.

Consider, for future years, to include the cost of crossover ceremonies, and costly Webelos trips in the Pack budget at the yearly Pack Program Planning meeting.

Hey a ski weekend probably IS a lot of fun. I do sort of question how that fits with "a scout is thrifty" and hotel "camping??" isn't terribly typical of what scouts do, but then, if you think you can pull it off, go for it.

Around here snow tubing is as popular, maybe more popular, than skiing. And a whole lot cheaper.

You might also want to look and see if there are any scout camps with cabins available for rental, near where ever you plan to go. That can dramatically cut cost, can still be a lot of fun, and is a little more in line with what scouts typically do. Our guys (a boy scout troop, not a pack) typically do one cabin camp each winter and the kids always have a blast playing board games and just being goofy. They can go out and run around in the snow half the night and still be toasty in the cabin with little effort on their part (or their parents' part) when it comes time to sleep.

About the fundraising business. No, technically a den cannot do a fundraiser by themselves. There's no reason a pack couldn't set up the fundraiser though, and maybe the bulk of the participants happen to be from that den. The intent of that rule, as I understand it, is to keep every single den from haring off in their own fundraising direction, causing havoc. If the pack leadership is aware, in agreement, and officially in charge as evidenced by filling out the appropriate paperwork, then no problem. We did a pop can drive one year. It amazed me, just how much soda (and beer) some families drink!