Walk-A-Thon count toward service project?

I have a new wolf scout that recently completed a 3 mile walk for the mentally ill. I'm not sure if he raised money or not. However, I know that he started the project before he was a cub scout. Does his 3 mile walk count as a service project toward some cub scout award?

There are no Cub Scout awards that involve this type of service.

If you are thinking of Good Turn for America, it is not a Cub Scout award, it is a National incentive to provide volunteer opportunities to help "fight hunger, provide shelter, and teach the habits of healthy living."

There is a patch that can be earned each year for doing service projects. The group doing the project logs the hours of the participants and purchases the patches.

In order for his BSA Pack to log in hours he has to have been a registered member of BSA when he did his service. I believe it also has to be a group (den/Pack) project.

Perhaps his family can check with the organization who ran the Walk-a-thon, to see if they are participating in Good Turn for America.

At the bare minimum. You can always get him a segment for his brag vest. There's a nice helping hands or a good deed segment. Stop @ your local counsel shop to view the different segments and/or patches. Talk to your event coordinator also about logging in the hours for Good Turn for America.

OK, if you give a boy a patch for something he did before he joined BSA, how far back do you go? 2 months? 4 months? What about 6 months? 1 year? 2 years or more?

Why stop at service? Why not include things done years before he is a registered Scout, and give him credit toward award requirements?

Heck, I know little brothers in pre-school who participated with their older siblings & family in an all night Relay for Life. Little brothers do the Crop Walk with big brothers and sisters. Heck, I had one little guy at a popcorn booth sale last month who sold way more popcorn than either of his Scout brothers. Should those little brothers get patches for it when they finally become registered Cub Scouts?

There are many ways to encourage volunteerism and service.

From what I understood of the org post. That this project was started before becoming a Cub Scout but completed while being a cub scout. Like I said if all he gets is a .90 cent segment so be it. Any 1/2 decent den leader should gladly dish out 90 cents out of their pocket to acknowlege such a good deed.

I don't buy your thin entering wedge argument.

Cub Scouts is very different than Boy Scouts - especially at the younger ages. If I was the CM and I knew of what this little fellow had done, I'd buy a generic "helping" or "volunteering" patch at the Scout Shop and present it to him with a big flourish at the next pack meeting. Give him a handshake and a pat on the back.

If the Walk-a-thon was done after the boy was registered as a Scout then I would have no problem with recognising him, and spending Pack funds, or mine, doing it.

Printman, considering the number of Scouts that have gone thru my den in the last 13 years that have stayed, and grown, in Scouting, and the number of adults I have trained, and worked well with, I would hazard that I am at LEAST a 1/2 decent leader. Perhaps even 1/2 again as decent as some others.