Webelos Rank and AOL confusion

I'm a little confused and I can not locate the answer in my leader's book.

For Webelos Rank the scouts need Fitness, Citizen and one other Activity Badge from one of the 3 remaining groups. So far so good. But it does not expressly say that it can not be Outdoorsman or Readyman. Yet in the AOL part it says to do Outdoorsman and Readyman plus 3 more for a total of 5 towards AOL, plus the 3 for Webelos which is 8.

So can they not use Outdoorsman or Readyman for their Webelos Rank?

I have one father saying since the boys will earn Outdoorsman his scout should be able to use it towards Webelos Rank.

Thanks

Absolutely they can count Outdoorsman or Readyman towards their Webelos rank. The requirements say Fitness, Citizen and one other of your choice. Finishing Outdoorsman certainly fulfills that spot.

To earn AoL you need the four required ones plus four more. What order they are completed in doesn't matter.

EL

The requirements for the Webelos Badge are what they are. Don't add or remove requirements or wording. If the badges earned at the time meet the requirements for Webelos, then you're good to go. So, since the requirements do not expressly prohibit the use of Readyman or Outdoorsman as the 3rd badge, then either is allowed.

Once you get to AOL, the wording doesn't say "Outdoorsman and Readyman plus 3 more...". It says "Earn 5 more activity badges in addition to the 3 you already earned for the Webelos badge" and then lists which badges and groups are required. So, there really is no confusion....since Outdoorsman or Readyman may already be done, the 5 more badges would need to satisfy the rest of the AOL requirements.

The Webelos Handbook my son has is the 2006 printing. The pack buys and gives them the next handbook at the end of the school year in June. I think its the most recent but not 100% sure.

On page 63 it says Earn 5 more activity badges in addition to the 3 you have already earned for the Webelos Badge. The it lists

Fitness (already earned for the Webelos Badge)

Citizen (already earned for the Webelos Badge)

Readyman

Outdoorman

at least one from the Mental Skills group

at least one from the Technology group

one more of your choice

Thats 7 spaces, so if they choose to earn Outdoorsman or Readyman as part of their Webelos Badge, do you just have them do their choice of the remaining undone for the 8th Activity Badge required for AOL?

I didn't see any reason to not let them count it so Im glad they can use it. Just trying to figure out where the 8th would come into play then with only 7 spaces in AOL.

Hubby is military and we may be moving so I want to be sure I have this down correctly to explain to the person that will be taking over for us.

Thanks everyone!

I think you may be reading more into this than what is intended.

You can use Outdoorsman toward the Webelos Rank, because it falls outside of the Physical Skills Group (Fitness) and Community Group (Citizen). You can not use Readyman since it is the Community Group with Citizen.

If Outdoorsman is used toward the Webelos Rank, when AOL time comes around you are going to have to do another badge. There must be 8 badges earned to achieve AOL.

Citizen

Fitness

Outdoorsman

Readyman

One from Mental Skills Group

One from Technology Group

One of choice

and another one of choice to substitute for using Outdoorsman for Webelos Badge

Earn five more activity badges in addition to the three you already earned for the Webelos badge. (this is from the AOL requirements, there has to be 8 in total and Citzen, Fitness, Readyman, and Outdoorsman must be earned).