Ideas for Pre-Camp Meetings???

We are going on our first camping trip next weekends (27th Sept) and I an looking for some ideas on whta we can do to help the families get ready for the trip.

To give you an idea on what we will be doing, here is a quick look at our itinerary

Saturday

Visit Battleship NC (Battleship alive that weekend)

Depart for local state park for an overnight campout.

At campground: Hikeing, Fishing, Family time.

Sunday

Outdoor Religious Service

Break Camp

Ensure LNT

Depart for CO building. Everyone seperates from CO.

What kind of things shoudl we go over at the meeting. (Projects, Props, information.)

We don't have "pre-camp meetings" for all participants.

We make sure every family has a copy of the agenda for the weekend, a packing list, and a list of contact cell numbers. The agenda and outdoor essentials templates can be found in your BALOO packet. Also make sure they all have a list of any items that they are supposed to be bringing (sports/craft equipment, food, cooking equipment, etc) for use by the group.

At this point, you should know if any of the families attending need to borrow equipment. You can contact them individually with info on where and how to get these items.

Since you are going to be stopping for activities on the way to camp, make sure you know when/where each family will join the group so you are not waiting for someone who is not going to show up.

GW I believe we're talking about a cub scout pack here, not a boy scout troop. SctDad, please correct if I'm wrong about that.

In addition to the suggestions ScoutNut made, I would make sure all the people who are planning to go understand the expectations governing adult behavior on a pack camping trip. That especially includes non-leader parents who may be unfamiliar with the BSA's policies regarding alcohol and smoking. I would also make sure that everyone understands who will be doing what (like cooking & camp chores).

Before our first outing of the year I try to hold a "baby BALOO" meeting aimed at Tiger cubs, new scouts, and parents.

We set up "camp" in our meeting room and go over the packing list, how to get off cheap on camping supplies, how to be comfortable outdoors, etc. I try to have a selection of equipment that ranges from expedition-quality backpacking stuff to improvised shelters, reused soda bottle canteens, and trash bag ponchos to show that camping does not need to be expensive.

The boys who haven't been camping before love to get their hands on the gear, and the parents usually come away more confident that they can survive one night outdoors.

Lisa

You are right, this is Cub Family Camping. Sorry I forgot to put that in, but I thought that putting it in the Cub Scout Forum would show that.

Hot Foot,

Thanks for the information. I will try to come up with some of that stuff. I think you are right in that there needs to be a display showing what kind of things that we could use. Like the trashbag ponchos. I think that I will go down to the Meeting early and set up some stuff to help show this. I think I will take down my backpack and lay out some of the things that I will have with me so that everyone can see what we should have.

ScoutNut

I guess instead of Pre-camp meeting I should have explained. It will be the meeting that we have regularly scheduled that is before we have our campout. But I can see what you were tinking I think.

I have the schedules/aganda and I am almost done with the maps. I tried using google maps but they are kinda hard to read, so I think that I will use the Microsoft Streets and trips that I also have.

I have gone through my Baloo handouts and I am working on some final details. I am going to be looking at the weather starting, well, basically now.

Any other suggestions???

This weekend will be our Webelos first one as well. Being military, this is my first father/son campout ever. I went out and bought a tent and some quality sleeping bags for my son and I. I have some other gear from my 50 miler with my Venturing Crew a few years back. This campout is a District campout, basically an overnighter with BB Gun and Archery belt loop/pin work. I plan on working on Outdoorsman with the boys this weekend also and will be going over that during this weeks meeting. Any suggestions for an overnight packing list?