Our troop has about 25 active members (meaning they attend and participate). Currently, of the 25 boys there are 11 Life Scouts and another 3 Star are just waiting for the next BOR to move up. Of the other 11 boys, only two are newly Star and the rest are new scouts. I point out this last part to show a certain gulf in rank only. These Life scouts are not all the same age nor did they start at the same time. We just have some amazing go-getters, and some just enjoying Scouts at their own pace. Adult leadership has done pretty well at not leaning on the advancement issue.

All this to say: What to do to keep these soon-to-be Eagles happy, interested and involved in Scouting especially at the regular meetings? It seems to me that the older boys spend a lot of time training up the new guys (which is good), but at the expense of challenging themselves and stretching their own horizons. Some of the Life scouts seem to think Eagle is the end of the road - an idea that I'd like to correct (and keep from spreading). There is a small Venture patrol in existence, but I haven't seen them do much. Maybe they are just waiting for more boys.

We will be having our annual planning campout soon. It'd be great to have some fresh ideas to present, especially just for these older boys. Been checking out the Sea Base down in the Keys, and other High Adventure sites. The cost could be a problem with some of these, as well as the fact that most seem to need to be planned over a year in advance. Good for 2004, but what to do in the meantime? (What is this sprint for the phone on one day only, anyway? Another topic...) I'd love some ideas from all you experienced folk on activities and such, that will catch the interest of boys 13 and up.

I'm up in the Jacksonville area. During our spring break we take the experienced scouts to the mountains to do a 50 mile backpacking trek. It's a big hit and keep in mind you are only a days drive from the AT in north Georgia and two hours more you have the Smokies.

In the summer we try to do a week long canoe trip. The Suwannee River isn't that far away from you either.

Just make the trips more challenging. Test those skills.(This message has been edited by Mike Long)

Two years ago we had a troop of 60 with 24 Life scouts. Now we have 17 Life scouts. We have week long backpacking trips every year in addition to summer camp. We have always had a venture patrol in our troop but when most scouts get Eagle they just don't show up. One of the biggest complaints was that the scoutmaster has them teach the new scouts every time they come.

Now we started a Venture Crew and they only show up at troop meetings to carn credit for their Venture requirement. There is more skills that they need to teach and they feal like they are in charge.

We have one or two Eagle projects every month, and another court of honor for a new Eagle scout.

Since the boys are supposed to be running the show, how about asking them what they'd like to be doing? There's no need that they all do the same stuff. Some might want to build a home for poor folks, others might want to go mountain climbing.

Tell them to come prepared with ideas, it's their program not the adults.