Do Webelos need a parent at Camporee?

This is in bold in the G2SS, so that means it is a rule or policy:

"A Webelos Scout may participate in overnight den camping when supervised by an adult. In most cases, he Webelos Scout will be under the supervision of his parent or guardian. It is essential that each Webelos Scout be under the supervision of a parent-approved adult. Joint Webelos den-troop campouts including the parents of the Webelos Scouts are encouraged to strengthen ties between the pack and troop. Den leaders, pack leaders, and parents are expected to accompany the boys on approved trips."

I would certainly encourage parents to attend. This will give the parent a reals sense of what Boy Scouts are doing. Depending upon if whether or not you are visiting a specific troop at camporee or if you are visiting the camporee in general, there will be much for Webelos and their parents to learn.

Be sure to bring your den flag for the boys to hold high. This will be an opportunity for your den to be seen by many troops as well.

Ops, sorry I missed that important point. I checked it online,

"A minimum of two adults must be present on any den or pack trip"

While this is the minimum I would encourage as many adults/parents to attend as possible.(This message has been edited by click23)

For a day activity all you would be required to have in the way of adult leadership is one registered adult over the age of 21 and another adult who is either a registered leader or a parent of a Scout who is in the den at the activity.

However...I would check with the district camporee committee and see if 1) Webelos are invited, and 2) There are separate age and skill level appropriate activities for the Webelos to take part in as prescribed by the BSA.

If there are no activities for the Webelos Den to take part in then I would not take them. Going to a camporee for the day to watch other kids do things is not a very enticing activity for active boys.

(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I believe I understand the reason that Webelos are no longer allowed to overnight with troops at camporees. Primarily because this required a parent of each boy to overnight as well. I observed on more than one occasion where this caused confusion at camporees where space was limited, and then to "mix" untrained Webelos parents with boy scouts actually detracted from the boy scout experience. I think it was a smart move.

I always encourage Webelos to attend and observe at camporees. Especially when they attend as a den, showing enthusiasm just like a patrol would. Our district, in the past has allowed Webelos dens to participate (as a den) in patrol competitions. It was a good experience for the dens, many of which crossed to troops intact.

• 1 month later...

My son's Webelos Den just participated in a BS Camporee. It was quite an experience for the parents...boring as we weren't given anything to do, alarming to see the Boy Scouts behaving in ways we don't allow our Cub Scouts to (fire safety and buddy system), and confusing because we were constantly given conflicting information regarding program timelines. May have just been the Troop though.

What you have lined out is ok visit only with you the leader and your son and then two other adults with two each to look out for. If the roster expands you need to add one adult for each two boys you are taking. You as the overall leader are not allowed a second youth just your child as you are presumed to be in charge of the den. A call to the program director of the event to make sure that the activities will be of interest and age appropriateness to your webelos scouts would be in order. This is a great way to determine which troops your webelos want to visit and spend some more time with to determine if this is the troop for them.

I am not understanding this.

You are saying that there HAS to be a parent on ALL activities.

We have a Cub Scout Encampment and a Webelos Encampment Coming up tis summer. Each one it 4 days/3 NIghts. The council has put out that there is a recommended minimum of 1 Adult to 5 Boys. (Tigers are not allowed to this encampment) It also says that all parents may come along, but that is how things break down as a recommended minimum. (This is a council sponsored event)

How is that different?

I believe I understand the reason that Webelos are no longer allowed to overnight with troops at camporees. Primarily because this required a parent of each boy to overnight as well.

I don't know if this is the reason but I do know not allowing Webelos to camp with Troops overnight at camporees has not helped retain Webelos crossing over to Boy Scouts.

DonnaW,

Welcome to the forum! Yes, that experience you had may have been the troop which you were visiting. We have a council encampment coming up and we are expecting 100 troops to participate (estimated 250+ patrols competing). We have specific and detailed proceedures for Webelos visitors, during the day on Saturday. Still, it will be crowded and I am sure that bedlam will reign, right along with fun and excitement.

I don't always believe that camporees are the right venue for Webelos to get a taste of Boy Scouting (sometimes it is, other times not--it really depends on many variable factors). I recall that I said it elsewhere, and I know it is slightly off topic, but there have been questions raised about G2SS prohibiting Webelos from camping with troops at camporees. I think this is a good example of why not. If you already have a crowded camp with many troops, cramming in Webelos (with their parents) with the troops, it really creates an undesireable dynamic. (On the other hand, if you create a separate camping area for all Webelos Dens, away from the troops, that may be the way to make this work. Sorry, my ADOS is flaring up.)

Back on topic. Well run Camporees are a great place for Webelos to visit a troop. Likewise, a poorly organized or executed event can be a like a bowl of sour grapes. I hope you experience did not sour you to Boy Scouts and the troop.