Den size, structure, organization and HELP

I was the new-guy last year in our Pack. We had 2 Tiger Dens. The other DL was a former Life Boy Scout, really dynamic, seemed really on top of things, and did some terrific Go-See-eM's. He has resigned.

My Den had 5 boys. All got their Tiger Badge and most earned multiple activity beads and 6-12 belt slides last year. We went Family Camping twice for 2 1/2 days each. We led the local parade, etc. Generally I think we had a good year.

Now we're Wolves and my son and another recruited 2 new Scouts. One transferred in from the other Den because of scheduling and one of mine went to the other Den for the same stated reason. One boy joined a Pack at his Church closer to his home. So, I have 6 boys in the Den now with 3 from last year and 3 new to our group.

Last night at Pack I got approached by the former Den Leader about his son joining our Den. Another parent also approached me for the same reason. The other Den had 9 registered boys last year and should have the same again this year. Unfortunately, they have no registered leader and have not met yet this year. I asked the CM and CC about this but have not gotten a reply yet.

I'm not opposed to more boys in the Den but if I were to get all of them it would be around 15 boys! Top that off with my Asst DL is the father of the boy that moved to another Pack and I'm the only registered leader for our Den at the moment (although I hear that one of the new Scouts father is an Eagle so I am planning on asking him to "Give back to Scouting" as soon as possible).

HELP!

Have another face to face talk with your CC. Let him know that you are unable to handle a den of 15 and the he, as CC, needs to recruit some den leaders. Remind him that the Pack will surely loose the boys altogether if they don't get moving soon.

I'm surprised that this has not come up at any of your Committee/Leader meetings.

BTW, just because someone is an Eagle does not automatically mean they will make a good leader. Likewise, just because someone was never a Scout does not automatically mean they will be a bad leader. Get to know your parents, then ask the one you feel can do the best job, regardless of gender or Scouting background.

Ideally, 6-8 scouts is all you want in either a den or patrol.

As a Tiger thru Bear Den Leader my den had 12 boys in it. The only way we were able to function at that size was to have a trained assistant and the assistance of numerous parents. In my case it wasn't too hard as most of my scouts started as Tigers and the parents just stayed involved as their sons progressed.

Agree, 6-8. I do know one DL who had 15-16, but he was willing: He made two Dens. One met Tuesday, the other Wednesday. His actual dens were 7-8.

Even at 6-8 you want an ADL (registered and trained) and a Boy Scout Den Chief (again trained, and you should go to the training with him!).

I'm for having that friendly talk over a cup of coffee with the CM and the CC.

Thanks guys. You are reinforcing for me my own initial reactions.

I like doing the DL stuff with the boys but have to say that 5-8 seems ideal to me. I had two more parents email me today about the Den. That would be 10.

I have an email in to the CC and CM. They are both planning on being at Roundtable tomorrow so I hope to talk with them then or immiedately afterward (even if I have to buy ;->).

Contrary to popular belief large isn't always good!!!! In large dens, the scouts don't always "get a good/meaningful chance" to do something if there is limited time available for the event/task during a den meeting.

The same is true in large packs. At the pack level, too many scouts can turn a pleasurable event into an ordeal. I know from experience as my pack averages about 120 scouts in 13 dens.

That said, there is an up-side. It appears we offer a quality program and the parents interested in having their sons in scouting have gravitated to our pack.

At the start of a scouting year you're bound to get more boys joining. CM and CC is taking the easy way out!! It's you who will be stuck planning for 3x the itmes and keep all boys active and on track. I had 14 last year but at no time did I get more than 11 at a meeting. We had the parents there and they helped but you dont' get time to sign a book or look at achievements. There jsut isn't time. Even with assistants. it'd the CC and CM job to get more leaders for that den. you can offer to help share your ideas but other than that it looks like you'd soon be 18 or more. How do you find room for all those?? Then you need all parents and it becomes family meeitngs.

you're right to say No and not feel guilty!!