A wagon on a backpacking trip

Using a wagon to move things at summer camp is one thing (I've considered making one for use by our troop), backpacking is another. It was a bad decision on someones part to bring one on a backpacking trip.

It sounds that the wagon was loaned for troop use no matter who's idea it was, and if so, the troop should pay no matter who authorized its use. Then they should never consider this again for backpacking trips.

As has been pointed out by others, taking a wheeled conveyance on what was supposed to be a backpacking trip was a dumb idea. Trying to finger individuals for financial responsibility without really strong evidence is also a dumb idea. The troop should pay, and hopefully everybody learns a lesson.

• 2 weeks later...

As one of the scouts involved with this "incident" I have to add a few comments of my own:

first: before we start arguing...where is the damage? I want to know what "Junior" claims to be destroyed about his beloved wagon

two: the damage inflicted on the wagon (if any) was a direct result of his incompetence when it comes to backpacking because if he can't fit all of his stuff for ONE night in a backpack the how can he be expected to teach younger scouts how to efficiently "backpack"?!?!

three: notice how I call this "BACKPACKING" because the troop permission slip does indeed call the trip a "backpacking" trip not WAGONING!

as a final note: we were never asked to bring overloaded wagon down the road. First we walked all the way down the road with our own personal gear, dropped then at the car, then proceeded back UP once again to assist the younger scouts by bringing the wagon down the car. This was a complete act of charity on our part...we hiked twice as far as everyone else on that trip...

grr...

It seems to me from the original post that the wagon was brought and borrowed by the adults. Did the boys ask to borrow the wagon? or was it available for their use? Either way, I agree with Laura take it as a tax right off and mark this one up as a lesson learned..

However you resolve it is fine but going forward, make a rule NO equipment other than troop equipment period. Next time it will be a $200 tent or a $900 camera or who knows what. In our troop only your personal items are allowed and a wagon doesnt make that list. Ive seen this same thing before with a canoe on a canoe trip. A word to the wise, for those of you reading this, make strict troop policies on non-troop equipment and get an equipment permission slip (or something) before you use it even if the adult that owns it is on the trip. Youd be surprised what Ive had adults ask for when theyve offered the use of their equipment and it breaks. Its much easier to resolve these prior then to be faced with it when theres a problem.

We went to Canada a few years back and one of the parents brought along their speed boat. During the trip he hit a rock and tore off the lower unit of his motor. Yep, he wantrd the troop to help pay for it; wish I would have learned on a red wagon before we had over a $2,000 bill in dispute.

• 4 weeks later...

I was told this issue was settled but at the last troop comm. meeting some members wanted the scouts to pay for the damage. Most members of the board had never spoke with any of the scouts involved, the scouts would like to tell their story since they are being blamed and they should have to pay for the damages.

I think a thorough and complete explanaition to the committee is certainly warranted, especially if monetary demands are to be placed on a group. Everyone should have an opportunity to speak (as long as its rational and material to the incident). Before you get started, at least one groundrule, choose who will be your "adjuticator" beforehand and the decision is final, Your COR would be a good possibility