Space Derby Alternatives?

Our Pack is considering doing our first Space Derby. We already have a big Pinewood Derby so the Space Derby would be done very informally... the boys would build their rockets at the event, we wouldn't keep track of winners, etc. In other words, just for fun. But when I went to the scout shop today to take a look at the kits they were $6.00 each! That is absurd in my opinion. If the Pack paid for the kits and added refreshments it would all add up to almost $400.00! :(

Does anyone know of alternatives to the BSA kits? How about something with recycled materials like TP tubes that we'd still be able to race in some way? Even if it wasn't a rocket... any other suggestions for a craft the kids could make and be able to race would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

Make the "rocket"...

Take TP tube, or paper towel tube. decorate wih fins, etc. Bend paper clips appropriately and tape to tube. Stretch smooth strings the length of your room. Place a looong balloon in the rocket tube and blow it up. Hold on to the open end. Hook paper clips over the strings, aiming the rocket tubes down the string. Let go the open ends. Stand back.

Repeat as necessary.

Outdoor and Adult stuff:::

Need ::: Paper Match Book, Straight pin , Aluminum foil, Big paper clips.

Cut out a small 2" by 2" piece of foil. Tear out a match. Place and hold straight pin on paper match so point is on match head and pin lies along paper stock. Carefully wrap foil around match and pin so match head is covered in two layers of foil and paper stock is only partially covered. Crimp around pin to make a channel. Carefully pull pin out. Make a Launch rack out of paper clip to hold up match rocket, head up, tail down. Angle about 45degrees up. Aim away from people, face, into open area outdoors. Light match and hold under rocket head. WHOOOOSH!

At our last Pinewood Derby we had a concession stand. Not really to make that much $, but to cover the cost of food instead of supplying snacks. We sold a hot dog combo for $2.00. If you buy hot dogs in bulk, go to the bread store, get the small bags of chips on sale and get soft drinks on sale you still make a little profit. It was a big hit.

#1 - $2.00 for a big hot dog, chips and drink was cheap

#2 - parents didn't have to cook

We have a concession stand at our pinewood derby. And since we go all out for pinewood we were wanting to keep the space derby extremely basic and easy.

I don't want the parents to have to pay for kits because I think that if they do good on popcorn sales the pack owes them some fun events without more expense to the families. And I would also be embaressed to charge them $6 for a space derby kit because I think the price is way out of line. So I love the ideas given for alternate types of rockets made from recycled materials... very scout like and just as much fun with little or no expense.