Fall Roundup Ideas...

Wow, can you believe another year is about to get into full swing? With everything else that's going on, I certainly can't!

As many of us are trying to plan our fall roundups, I thought we could share some ideas. In my Pack we have a representitive at our school's open house, they usually have a slideshow presentation going with pictures of all the things that we have done recently. In the past she handed out applications, but I think this year they are going to hand out invitations to our pack meeting, which is 2 days later. The following week we are having boy talks, and an evening roundup. During our evening roundup we usually do a 4-7 open house style round up. People do not have to come at any particular time and stay for any certain amount or time. We have the parents go in one roome where they learn about scouts and all of the different things that they need to know (honestly I've never sat in) people can register at this time, or they can listen and take an application and think about it. The boys are in the room accross the hall, and we keep them busy doing things. In the past we have usually had a couple of games, and a couple of crafts. I think this year we are having Web's do soome knot tying demo's.

Any ideas on simple crafts? Any ideas to incorporate the New Buddies theme? Any ideas on atheme 'slogan'? For instance in April when we did Spring Roundup, the theme was Abracadabra, and our slogan was "Discover the Magic of Cub Scouts".

Any other ideas on roundups, crafts, games, slogans, or anything else?

What is your pack doing?

We go to each classroom in the school in full uniform and get the kids excited about scouting. This is done the day before Roundup. You spend maybe 2-3 minutes in a class and ask if they like camping, fishing, hiking etc. We then leave flyers with the teacher so the boys go home that night asking the parents if they can come back tomorrow night and sign up for scouts.

We also have our Class B shirts at roundup, anybody that signs up and pays that night gets a shirt to take with them. This includes volunteering parents :) We have found that you will have a better chance of them signing up if you have alot of parents and leaders there to answer any questions they have that night. We also use some of the more mature Boy Scouts from the affiliated troop to entertain the prospective Cubs, this frees the leadership up to recruit the parents, the boys are already sold that's why they are there. We also only do roundup for about one hour.

Our "Roundup" (we call it School Night for Scouting-SNFS) is a methodical, planned and choreographed event. It happens like clockwork, because, SNFS or Roundup is not about recruiting cub scouts, it is about recruiting cub scout Leaders.

We do a specific presentation, telling them about the pack our program and what their sons can get from the program. We then explain the importance of participation and then seek leaders for our new dens (or vacant positions). We do not handout youth applications until we have volunteer leaders for each (new) den. We had ours last night, recruited 30 boys, and 3 leaders.

It was, as I said, like clockwork. We had all the applications accepted with fees within one hour. We did such a good job of recruiting that withing 5 seconds of asking for leaders, 3 hands shot up with an "I'll do it!"

Easiest SNFS we have done in 5 years.