Pack Family Camping on an Island

I am sure the Park has emergency extraction plans. It is up to the Pack outing leader to find out all of the particulars on emergency procedures in ANY area they are camping in. That information should then be shared with all of the adults on the trip, especially the First Aid person.

For this particular trip I would be more concerned with the fact that the families would have to backpack in. There are no carts, or vehicles of any kind allowed.

Have your families backpacked before? Do they have the equipment? Are they able to walk for at least 15 min, thru sand, carrying armloads of stuff (if they have no backpack)?

At our council's weekend Cub Summer Camps, all families need to bring is a tent, sleeping bag, and clothes. No cooking equipment, food, coolers, shelters, shovels, buckets, charcoal, washing stuff, etc, etc. Some bring camp chairs. They wait in line for carts. If they carry their stuff in, the younger boys will stop at least 6 times along the way, complaining how heavy their sleeping bag is. Parents will end up making multiple trips back to the parking lot to bring in everything. And, this is when the parking lot is only a couple hundred yards from their campsite, and it takes only, at the most, if you walk real slow, 5 minutes.

Personally, I think that for inexperienced Cubbie families, a fun and easy car camping trip, with plenty of on-site activities like a nature center and trails, is the way to go.

Thanks for the info GW

As for somethig that I have seen brought up a couple of times. We are not participating in Aquatic Activities. THe only boat ride will be the park ferry getting us to the Island. I only mentioned my boat as a possible emergency extraction. Not that I think we will need it.

As for the walk to the campground I think that things will be OK. We do not have this trip on the calander yet, so this is still up in the air. We have plenty of other camping trips to do before we go and set out on this one. I have enough common sense to know when to ask is someone needs help.

Why don't you just send out an e-mail and ask what the parents think? If you have enough people who want to go, then go. This might not be a great Pack trip, but it would be a great Web II & Troop event.