Taking cubs out of school for camp

We just recently started our son in scouts and very quickly realized that our pack feels that scouting should come first. I was wondering if anyone else had an opinion on pulling children from school to attend camp ? Our son is an excell student and there is no issue with him missing school however my husband and I feel he needs to know that school comes before scouts. I feel this is sending the wrong message and really would like to know if this is a common practice for the BSA or if this is just this packs mentality.

Welcome to the forums. I feel the same as you. In my school system, it would be an unexcused absence, and with too many of those, the child has to repeat the grade. Unless your cub is attending a private school with a different schedule, all Pack events should be scheduled so as to avoid conflicts with school calendars, holidays, religious observances, etc.

No, it is not a misunderstanding ... This pack averages 6 times a year they pull the kids for a few days at a time. Our district does have A policy regarding absences. Apparently this is a rented facility by our pack and not a BSA camp. Our winter break is 2 weeks prior to our winter camp. I do not know why they choose not to change it to match the school breaks. the district posts it's tentative calendar for the upcoming year in July. I am glad to know we are not the only parents who feel education should come first.

Wow. If it were me, I think I'd be looking for a different pack, one where my child would be able to actually participate in their events without serious scheduling conflicts. I can't imagine pulling my kid out of school for a few days at a time, 6 times a year! Supposing that by "a few" you mean 3, that's 18 days of school missed, for scouting!

In trying to imagine how/why a pack would do this, a couple of other possibilities come to mind. Are the kids in this pack mostly homeschooled? Do they attend a private school that operates on a different schedule maybe? If it is just a matter of the adults in the pack feeling that this is ok and school comes second to scouting, well then I'm back to "wow" and probably looking for another pack.

I have never heard of district/council scheduling anything during the school day here (Ohio). My son, a boy scout, has missed a meeting or two because of homework that needed to be completed for the next day. School is a priority.

When I first read the post my thoughts were "That's nuts to pull children out of school 6 times a year."

Is most of the cubs in your pack home schooled where they have more latitude to go during normal school days? If it is the pack who is scheduling then maybe look for a pack in your area that is more on a normal school schedule for their activities. You can contact your DE (district executive) to find another pack.

Are you sure that the camp does not start say on a Friday evening?

My 2 cents

Kbandit

OK, maybe it's just me, but I need a bit of clarification here.

Does your Pack schedule camping trips in the middle of the week? Or are they weekends with the expectation that Friday is taken off of school?

Are these camps a week long, or just 1 or 2 nights?

Does your Pack have activities during the day, during the school week?

Your Pack does these mid-week events on the average of 6X per year?

As others have asked - Is your Pack mainly home schooled?

I am so glad I am not the only one that feels this is crazy! to answere a few questions .. No, these are not home-schooled kids they attend a public school in our area. 2.Are you sure that the camp does not start say on a Friday evening? actually it's all day Saturday! Friday and Monday are considered travel days. I asked what do we do on sunday ? I was told the kids play and we sit back and have fun. My husband says i am to research the other pack in our area.

Sorry, didn't see other questions until I replied.

Does your Pack schedule camping trips in the middle of the week? Or are they weekends with the expectation that Friday is taken off of school?

During school they are scheduled during weekends with friday and sometimes monday being taken off.

Are these camps a week long, or just 1 or 2 nights?

they are usually sat and sun but require travel time getting over the passes. We live in washington state and sometimes that is not easy.

Does your Pack have activities during the day, during the school week?

no

Your Pack does these mid-week events on the average of 6X per year?

No, with the events scheduled there will be about 6 times the kids would miss a friday and/or a monday of school. So, when i look at the schedule i count 9 days of school being missed if you participate in the activities scheduled. Some activities are close enough that if you could you could drive down Sat or fri night and only miss 5 days of school. Most of the events are over the pass and require travel.

As others have asked - Is your Pack mainly home schooled?

No, they all attend a public elementary school in our area.

hope that answeres the questions .. I did not realize how many people would respond.

I'm with Lisa. What your Pack is doing fails common sense. I can think of very few good reasons for a Pack to have a 4 day weekend camp. I can find plently of neat places to overnight within two hours of my front door, and I live in a major city.

It's worth looking at another Pack.

I agree that I'd not take my son out of school to go to a scout event. I'd also not go to something that requires a full days travel and only was for the weekend. Maybe you have year round schooling?? That's the only reason I could see the pack scheduling this. Maybe suggest something closer or go to another pack. you don't have to attedn these events if they are not convenient. I'd definatly question the organizer of these events.

Does everyone in the pack miss a Monday or Friday or can you leave really early on a Sat to get there and 5pm on Sunday and get home?? I'm thinking they stay Friday night too? How long does it take?? Are the passes not safew to travel at night or close?

Any weekday non summer evetns are only on holidays and I have never scheduled one then either as I work and would have to take off too. Plus the Home and School sometimes does trips then.

I also don't schedule things during winter break or spring break as lots of families are way then . (maybe a den event if families agreed but not a pack event).

No way go along with this! If you want to stay in the Pack, explain why and that you'll join the group on Friday eve and be leaving Sunday.

Are the leaders able to schedule their work around this schedule? That would knock out a majority of my leaders, parents and drivers...

That is not the norm in any way for a program to run.

Friday & Monday are travel days????? How far away is this camp?

Scouting is the same as any other activity. It's important but school comes 1st. It sounds like these folks want to enjoy some long weekends! I wonder what the DE & Chartering Organization thinks of this?

Ed Mori

1 Peter 4:10