Arrow of Light Awards

Greetings,

We are in the early planning stages of our AOL ceremony scheduled for January. I am interested in ordering arrows for the boys to paint their accomplishments on. I was wondering if anyone has used this company before http://www.skyhawkkits.com/proddetail?prodid=744211 or if they have a reputable supplier. I am looking in the range of about $10 per arrow. We were burned (as to this date but still holding out hope) by the heritage award company and are a little leary about ordering from companies we are not familiar with. Thanks in advance

Julie

I used Acorn Awards - they were very good to work with, arrows came really quickly, and they were safely packaged for shipping. I have recommended them to others who have had similar positive experiences. Seems like we paid about $30 each for our den boys, although they do have some less expensive options.

www.acornawards.com

clyde

Make em... 1/4" red oak dowel, feathers from Tandy, and have your favorite metalworker friend cut up sheet metal for arrowheads. Our arrowhead guy actually uses some copper-y alloy from an artillery shell, but it doesn't need to be that exotic. Beat it with a ball peen hammer to give it some character, wire brush for contrast, and you have a work of art.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I have since called this company and spoke with a representative. I feel a little more comfortable about ordering from them but since we still have time I will continue to look into some of the other suggestions as well as contact a archery shop near us. My husband is also cutting AOL symbols out of wood for the boys to stain and hang their arrows from. Again, thanks for your help and suggestions.

Julie

I collect actual arrows from my friends that shoot bows. I get them to give me their broken/bent arrows with fletching/feathers intact. I then cut to approx 15 in, and hot glue a wooden arrowhead on them, decorate with some leather strips and feathers. The boys think they are cool because they are "real" arrows. I have used wooden cut out Christmas trees as the arrow head, just take a wire brush on drill and buff edges a bit, then stain with stain or brown shoepolish. This is a "thrifty" arrow that also embraces recycling and re-use of discarded products.

PM if you want a picture, I can email.

For the part of the craftsman badge we actually had the boys make their arrows. I found some turkey feathers, bought a fletching tool, some super glue. some 3/8 oak dowel rods and some arrowheads.

Had the boys paint the stripes too.

You'll have less than $10 per arrow invested and the boys learn a lot.